O. Briareus-round II

... and I am relieved! As I read "I found its den but unfortunately ..." I rushed with held breath to finish the sentence. Hopefully we are on our way to a new adventure and it will start eating soon. The fact it came all the way out is a mental breath but relaxed breathing doesn't start for a couple of weeks :goofysca:.

dwhatley;167785 said:
... and I am relieved! As I read "I found its den but unfortunately ..." I rushed with held breath to finish the sentence. Hopefully we are on our way to a new adventure and it will start eating soon. The fact it came all the way out is a mental breath but relaxed breathing doesn't start for a couple of weeks :goofysca:.

:oops: Sorry D
No sighting last night. I attemped to lure him out with shrimp on a stick. Those darn shrimp from Tom are worse than my peppermints. One stold my shrimp. I see no evidence that it has eaten. I am hoping it (octopus) will take down those shrimp but so far all 3 are still alive. I ordered fiddlers from Paul today and expect them on Wednesday. I need to get my fiddler tank ready.
I am :fingerscrossed: hoping to see him tonight!

Tonight I found an octopus peeking at me.:smile: Look at him, cuddled up to the cucumber.
I tried to feed again and he blew it away. This time I tried w/shell on. I also received my Reefs2go order, lots of snails, hermits and peppermints so there is plenty for him to hunt if he has a mind to.
I chanced a flash, just one, he didn't react at all, been in the same spot for hours. I am just not feeling comfortable with this one, I just wish he'd eat already. :-/

DSCN1755.jpg

I ordered fiddlers, they were shipped out on the 6th. I expected delivery today. I cought my mail man and asked if he had a box for me, he didn't. I then rechecked the tracking and the only thing it showed was the origonal scan in FL. I ran to the post office they had nothing more on my package. I am very worried especially with our cold weather. I emailed Paul, he didn't seem worried, he told me they can handle 4 days in transit. I don't know about that :shock:
I am calling the very nice lady who tried to help me at the post office tomorrow morning. She will be on the look out and will hold it for me to pick it up. Why do I always have so much trouble with shipping. This happened before with fiddlers from Paul, the weather was warm and I lost some.
I

he told me they can handle 4 days in transit. I don't know about that
I DO! They will likely be fine. A couple of times a year this happens to me and they always make it in the winter (of course, my winter is a tad warmer than yours).

I have had problems with FL shipping when it gets routed oddly. Several years ago, it always took 3 days rather than two and then mysteriously went back to reliable 2 day delivery. At this time of year though, you can kind of expect some things to be tardy.

He's looking rather briareusy in THAT photo with the typical OWL eyes and web extension on the arm.

Called the post office at 7:00 am, talked to my letter carrier. He said if he finds it, he will drop it off before he begins his route so there is no chance if it being delayed further. So needless to say.....:fingerscrossed:

Oh...I peeked at him this morning, He is still in the same cave in front, he turned a dark redish color so I know he is alive.

I can tell you that my crabs are kept by a window in my house with no heat. Ok so thats not true but what is true is the heat doesnt kick on until 67 degrees in the house and the water they are kept in is FREEZING when I go to pull one out for feeding. I have had them get lost in the mail too for an extra day and had no die off. I have actually had more die off in the summer taking normal time than I have since winter has started and I order 2 different sizes in order to feed Isis and Sedona. Other than the fact that you would like to feed your octopus it should be fine.

In any event I will keep my :fingerscrossed: that they find them soon for you.

Also I would like to add.. I have had special orders from Paul where I needed the crabs badly so he mailed them off on Friday and they got here on Monday... No problems or die off at all.

Got the crabs this morning. Tried to warm them but after 4 hours, no movment and horrible stench I conclude all are dead.
By the way, I lost the octopus today too. :sad:
Bad day all around, cannot wait for it to be over. I am surrounded by death.

I might as well flush my money down the toilet :sink:

:cry: We have never had this kind of death record. The closest was a group of O. hummelincki originating from Haiti and the catch methods were suspect. Please send Tom an email as an informational note. If these were all from the same supplier, he may decide to discontinue using this one. I am kind of wondering if they were kept on ice before being sold to Tom. Just conjecture, with a possible hint from the odd markings on Sedna's ward.

Well something is really off for sure. I just don't know, is it me? Am I doing something wrong? It is really hard not to blame myself. I feel like $hit. 2 octopuses and 40 crabs. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all.
I am not trying again for a while. I kind of feel done with the whole thing. I can't watch another one die while I watch helplessly.
Really bummed :sad:

I have written and rewritten like 3 times here and everything just comes out depressing or hokey or just down right stupid. I am sorry you are having such a hard time right now. We are here for you though, no matter what.

Sabrina, I appreciate your encouraging words more than you know.

D, thank you

I am having trouble finding words to express my appreciation. It is so good to know I have friends who understand and support me.
It is the bumps in the road that make for an interesting journey. Success is much more appreciated after failure. An important part of keeping an octopus is being able to share our experiences together.
My day is feeling brighter :sun:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back