new to the octopus world

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by KLtcb, Aug 4, 2008.

1. KLtcb

KLtcb Blue Ring Registered

Hello everyone:smile:,

i currently have a 75g FOWLR that has been running for a 1.5 years. lately i have been reading on RC about octopuses and saw this website and wanted to ask a few questions.

looking on this site the octopus that has gotten me interested is the Bimac.

would a 75g tank be enough room for the full life.

i currently have a AMG-1 skimmer rated for 100 gallons and i am also researching to get a canister filter to add for more filtration. is this a good idea? any suggestions on what would be best?

in the tank i have 2 lionfish and a moray which i plan to have thrive in the tank until they become to large and find a new home for them. when this time comes i would love to get involved with an octopus tank. this will probably be in a while but research and asking questions is a must as we have all learned in the SW hobby.

im sure i left out alot of questions so if you would like to add anything i would appreciate it

thank you for any suggestions or response
    (sorry for a long post.:grin:.lol)

Mike

2. KLtcb

anybody?

im sure you get these questions alot but just a noob searchin for some help/advice

3. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

:welcome: Mike.

We can be a wee bit slow sometimes in replying, depends on what we all have on I guess.

75 is big enough for a Bimac, but they don't seem to be available much at the moment (check octopus availability thread).

have you ever used copper or copper meds in the tank, if so it can't be used for an octo. The tiniest trace is fatal!!! And the stuff gets trapped in silicon etc and slowly leaches out. You'll need to overfiltrate! Octos produce way more waste than a comparable sized fish/es

you will need a holding tank for food octos eat a surprising amount and steer clear of freshwater species, the protein to fat ratio is off and it's not good as a staple diet (a treat yes, some octos loved FW ghost shrimps!!!)

Check out the octo care articles in the octo care forum. Also Nancy & Colin (ceph care moderators) have a book coming out very soon on just this topic!!!!

Cheers

Jean

4. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

You should also realize that there are two different "bimacs"... bimaculatus and bimaculoides... but I think both need cool temperatures, so you might end up needing a chiller.

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Welcome to Tonmo! I am sure that looking into the many articles on file here, you will find a lot of answers.
    If you have more questions, just ask, we are a friendly group !

Greg

6. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: As was mentioned, bimacs (of both types) are a bit hard to come by these days, so for a 75, briareus, hummelincki, or aculeatus might be other options to consider (and won't need a chiller). A lot of the articles were written when bimacs were easier to get, but most of the requirements, except temperature, carry over.

7. KLtcb

thanks everyone for the replies

i think the Bimac i was reading about is the bimaculoides the 2 spot california one? not sure if thats right but i will deffinetly do some research on the other species listed.

thanks again for replying and hope to learn more and get to know members.
    this site seems to be an awesome community with people who love the hobby and are willing to help anyone interested.

8. KLtcb

also forgot to mention, no copper has been used in the tank and i usually have the lfs check for any trace once in a while when i get water tests done

Mike

9. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:welcome: Do you know for a fact that copper has never been used in the tank? The amount of copper that is detrimental to octopus is less than is detectible by tests. You shouldn't just rely on the test to indicate that there is no copper.

10. KLtcb

yeah i understand and it is a used tank. what other ways are there to trace copper?

11. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

12. KLtcb

thanks for the links
    the previous owner is my x gf's older brother so i don't think i would really wanna talk to them lol

ill most likely get a brand new set up and probably more gallons

13. KLtcb

anywayyyyy.

any youngins in the hobby? just wondering if anyone else my age keeps a SW tank

im 17

14. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Zyan Silver was 17 or 18 when he was supplying some of the members here with tank-raised baby bimacs... if that's encouraging.

15. KLtcb

thats awesome. i was reading i think on here an article about octopus care and it said that even unmated females can lay infertile eggs. which means that they arent hatchable? is it just luck that you buy a female and its already pregnent and then has babies? it seems that since their lifespans are unfortunetley short, it would be very cool to raise the babies and just keep it goin.. how does that work?

16. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

It's usually bad luck. Octopuses can store sperm for months, so if the octo was wild-caught, she will most likely lay fertile eggs. Unfortunately, (almost all) octos die shortly after laying eggs, and the babies are very hard to raise in captivity. Large-egged octos are difficult but possible, with a whole lot of effort, resources, food cost, and so forth (and even then they have a relatively low success rate) and small-egged species have never been raised anywhere except in a professional laboratory (we get someone trying every few months, and no one has been successful.)

To hear about some successes with large egged species, look at gholland's and dwhatley's posts about their mercatoris mothers, Varys and Trapper. Mercatoris are not the most sociable octos, though, although with these examples they seem easier to raise to adulthood than other large-egged species. Zyan's experience is described in the TFH "ceph issue" article, but I don't think it's online anywhere yet.

17. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I believe davec15 is 15! And I'm sure we had some 14/15's on before.

J

18. Chef Reef

Chef Reef O. vulgaris Registered

id bump the skimmer up to at least a asm g-3. thats what i run on my 55 and couldnt imagine anything less then that.

19. KLtcb

thanks for the info monty and the heads up chef reef, would just upgrading the skimmer be all i need? or would i also wanna get a canister filter?

thanks for the reply jean, its awesome to see kids in my age group that are also interested, in my area most of the people are older who are in the hobby.

Mike

Random BUT i saw Pineapple Express and just FYI, AWESOME MOVIE.

20. Kharn

Kharn O. vulgaris Registered

I am 19 8-)