• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new to the octopus world

KLtcb

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello everyone:smile:,

i currently have a 75g FOWLR that has been running for a 1.5 years. lately i have been reading on RC about octopuses and saw this website and wanted to ask a few questions.

looking on this site the octopus that has gotten me interested is the Bimac.

would a 75g tank be enough room for the full life.

i currently have a AMG-1 skimmer rated for 100 gallons and i am also researching to get a canister filter to add for more filtration. is this a good idea? any suggestions on what would be best?

in the tank i have 2 lionfish and a moray which i plan to have thrive in the tank until they become to large and find a new home for them. when this time comes i would love to get involved with an octopus tank. this will probably be in a while but research and asking questions is a must as we have all learned in the SW hobby.

im sure i left out alot of questions so if you would like to add anything i would appreciate it

thank you for any suggestions or response
(sorry for a long post.:biggrin2:.lol)

Mike

:welcome: Mike.

We can be a wee bit slow sometimes in replying, depends on what we all have on I guess.

75 is big enough for a Bimac, but they don't seem to be available much at the moment (check octopus availability thread).

have you ever used copper or copper meds in the tank, if so it can't be used for an octo. The tiniest trace is fatal!!! And the stuff gets trapped in silicon etc and slowly leaches out. You'll need to overfiltrate! Octos produce way more waste than a comparable sized fish/es

you will need a holding tank for food octos eat a surprising amount and steer clear of freshwater species, the protein to fat ratio is off and it's not good as a staple diet (a treat yes, some octos loved FW ghost shrimps!!!)

Check out the octo care articles in the octo care forum. Also Nancy & Colin (ceph care moderators) have a book coming out very soon on just this topic!!!!

Cheers

Jean

You should also realize that there are two different "bimacs"... bimaculatus and bimaculoides... but I think both need cool temperatures, so you might end up needing a chiller.

Welcome to Tonmo! I am sure that looking into the many articles on file here, you will find a lot of answers.
If you have more questions, just ask, we are a friendly group !

Greg

:welcome: As was mentioned, bimacs (of both types) are a bit hard to come by these days, so for a 75, briareus, hummelincki, or aculeatus might be other options to consider (and won't need a chiller). A lot of the articles were written when bimacs were easier to get, but most of the requirements, except temperature, carry over.

thanks everyone for the replies

i think the Bimac i was reading about is the bimaculoides the 2 spot california one? not sure if thats right but i will deffinetly do some research on the other species listed.

thanks again for replying and hope to learn more and get to know members.
this site seems to be an awesome community with people who love the hobby and are willing to help anyone interested.

also forgot to mention, no copper has been used in the tank and i usually have the lfs check for any trace once in a while when i get water tests done

Mike

:welcome: Do you know for a fact that copper has never been used in the tank? The amount of copper that is detrimental to octopus is less than is detectible by tests. You shouldn't just rely on the test to indicate that there is no copper.

thanks for the links
the previous owner is my x gf's older brother so i don't think i would really wanna talk to them lol

ill most likely get a brand new set up and probably more gallons

KLtcb;122643 said:
anywayyyyy.

any youngins in the hobby? just wondering if anyone else my age keeps a SW tank

im 17

Zyan Silver was 17 or 18 when he was supplying some of the members here with tank-raised baby bimacs... if that's encouraging.

thats awesome. i was reading i think on here an article about octopus care and it said that even unmated females can lay infertile eggs. which means that they arent hatchable? is it just luck that you buy a female and its already pregnent and then has babies? it seems that since their lifespans are unfortunetley short, it would be very cool to raise the babies and just keep it goin.. how does that work?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back