Need help ID'ing 'Atlantic Dwarf' Octopus

wasitgreen

Hatchling
Registered
Hello, I've been wanting an octo for awhile and after awhile I finally found some warmer water octos and this site. So when I was setting up th octo 'inner tank' (Critter Keeper in a 40B display and 35 fuge) the LFS by me randomly got one in, and since I'm all setup and researched what little info there is on pet cephs, I decided to try it. I don't have pics yet, but until I get home I was hoping a description can help me find the species. It was sold as an Atlantic Dwarf so I assume its either O. Joubini or O. Merc---- (forgot the spelling) it seems to have the color/texture changing properties of O. Merc but the arm to length is, I think, more O. Joubini @ 1" mantle : 4+" arms (O. Mercs are 1:3 right?) with webbing only about 1/2" or so down. It's normal coloring is a reddish grey-brown with no special patterning I can see (O. Mercs have 'eye stars' it seems). It is nocturnal and new to the tank so I can't really report much on behavior other than the fact it dens like O. Merc (arms curled in front of head with eyes on either side) but as I read it looks like it could just be doing that from stress of acclimating. What gets me most though are how its eyes are away from the mantle on a t shaped stalk for lack of a better term. No pics I find of either O. Merc or O. Joubini have such bugging eyes. Will hopefully get some pics if he's visible, but I don't want to stress him more by moving rocks until he's visible.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Welcome to TONMO.
without pictures IDinng it will be very hard, if not impossible.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member

wasitgreen

Hatchling
Registered

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmmorell