Need help ID'ing 'Atlantic Dwarf' Octopus

wasitgreen

Hatchling
Registered
Hello, I've been wanting an octo for awhile and after awhile I finally found some warmer water octos and this site. So when I was setting up th octo 'inner tank' (Critter Keeper in a 40B display and 35 fuge) the LFS by me randomly got one in, and since I'm all setup and researched what little info there is on pet cephs, I decided to try it. I don't have pics yet, but until I get home I was hoping a description can help me find the species. It was sold as an Atlantic Dwarf so I assume its either O. Joubini or O. Merc---- (forgot the spelling) it seems to have the color/texture changing properties of O. Merc but the arm to length is, I think, more O. Joubini @ 1" mantle : 4+" arms (O. Mercs are 1:3 right?) with webbing only about 1/2" or so down. It's normal coloring is a reddish grey-brown with no special patterning I can see (O. Mercs have 'eye stars' it seems). It is nocturnal and new to the tank so I can't really report much on behavior other than the fact it dens like O. Merc (arms curled in front of head with eyes on either side) but as I read it looks like it could just be doing that from stress of acclimating. What gets me most though are how its eyes are away from the mantle on a t shaped stalk for lack of a better term. No pics I find of either O. Merc or O. Joubini have such bugging eyes. Will hopefully get some pics if he's visible, but I don't want to stress him more by moving rocks until he's visible.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back