My first O. Hummelincki

Thanks. Ya this little guy is amazing. He is always swimming about the tank during feeding times and any time I stick my hands in there. He's so easy to feed. He doesn't pig out unless I give him mysids. He LOVES! those. This is my fiance's cow fish. She absolutely loves him but I'm not so enthused. Every time I stick my hands in there it tries to bite me. I was trying to feed Bubbles the other day and got bitten hard by that little fish like five times in a row. I was so upset.

Attachments

• conv_296172.jpg
    conv_296172.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • conv_296173.jpg
    conv_296173.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
I'm getting the feeling you don't think I should have an octopus, and I can see your point, but I think I've gotten rid of all the "octopus hazardous" fish. Damsels, pajama cardinal, and a cow fish. The stingray I can see your concern but it stays buried most of the time unless I have my hands in the tank or feeding, and it leaves everything alone. Not to mention it's mouth is way too small to eat Bubbles.

Ok so I was scrubbing the front and left side of my tank, minding my own business when something caught my eye. It was Bubbles. She was following my movements inside her little critter carrier. She was following me around as I cleaned. I think it is time to let her out. I've found the top that I need, and I'm going to pick it up this Friday. Until then I'll just tape up the holes. Ok well I'm going now to let her out. I'll post again when she's settled in to let everyone know how it goes.

Bubbles' other tank mates...

Attachments

• conv_296178.jpg
    conv_296178.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • conv_296179.jpg
    conv_296179.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
  • conv_296180.jpg
    conv_296180.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
  • conv_296181.jpg
    conv_296181.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 131
Castle de Bubbles

This is where she went to, and I saw here climbing around it pretty actively.

Attachments

• conv_296183.jpg
    conv_296183.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
  • conv_296184.jpg
    conv_296184.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
  • conv_296185.jpg
    conv_296185.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 90
Does anyone know the likelihood of being bitten by an Octopus Hummelincki? Every time I stuck my hand in there to feed her, she would reach out, grab me, and try to pull me under her body. :frown: I'm always worried that she is trying to bite me and I pull away. Should I be worried or just let her do her thing?

The reason I asked is because someone posted earlier that her increase in size could mean she is getting near the end, I've only had her a few weeks, and she's walling herself up in one of the rocks right now.

You can see her inside the rock with that white rock walling her in.:snorkel:

Attachments

• conv_296186.jpg
    conv_296186.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 122
  • conv_296187.jpg
    conv_296187.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • conv_296188.jpg
    conv_296188.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 94
As for getting bitten, the chances are quite low. And if you are bitten there is just about no damage with hummelcki. Bimacs have the nastiest bite besides bluespot. Ill edit the post and put the bites thread here in a sec.

Thanks for the info. I'm not really worried of the allergic reactions so much as the actually getting bit part. I'd love to handle her more, but I'm just scared of getting bit. I know I sound like a wuss, but you know what they say, you fear what you don't know. Anyways, any ideas on her actions upon letting her out into the tank? Could she really be at the brooding stage and possible be gravid?

So I just checked the tank to see how Bubbles is doing, and she hasn't moved at all. She hasn't even moved her body position. She looks exactly the way she does in the pictures above.

I caught Bubbles at the front of the tank this morning. She had grabbed a hermit crab shell and a snail shell ahm pulled those back to cave her hole as well. Should I be worried?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back