My first O. Hummelincki

I tried to feed Bubbles this morning hoping that she would come out. And to my luck she had, but quickly retreated back into her den. Good thing though is that she dropped her two newly acquired shells.

Attachments

• conv_296206.jpg
    conv_296206.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
  • conv_296207.jpg
    conv_296207.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_296208.jpg
    conv_296208.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
  • conv_296209.jpg
    conv_296209.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 103
Well she's moved the white rock walling her in. I guess this is all a good sign.

Attachments

• conv_296210.jpg
    conv_296210.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 78
  • conv_296211.jpg
    conv_296211.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
  • conv_296212.jpg
    conv_296212.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
Ok well I just fed Bubbles another piece of krill. She took it instantly. I tried to coax her out of her den but she was too fast. She grabbed it, pulled it in, and quickly retreated back into her den. I think this is a really good sign. I think she's just adjusting to her new freedom and will be out and about in a day or so.

Bubbles was still in her den with that same shell blocking the entrance. I could just make out one of her eyes and decided to try and feed her again. I feed the fish prior to this so that they would not bother Bubbles and I. I thawed a nice large krill and using a clear feeding stick, I danced the krill back and forth in front of her den. After about three or four minutes and a lot of twitching on her behalf, she reached out and took the krill with a few arms. Just the tips of the arms extruded out, grabbed the krill, and drug it back inside her den. The whole was small, and all you could see was the krill slowly being pulled into the rock. Watching all of this was quit amusing.

Bubbles came out! Ya out and about. She has fully left her den and crawled around. I went to check on her and her den was empty. I went to go do something and came back about ten minutes later she was back in her den. Yet this time she was just sitting near the very open. Most of her was visible.

Now she's just sitting at the edge of her den looking out. I'm hoping that in a day or so she'll be fully comfortable with her new surroundings and come out completely.

I finally got the glass tops I've been looking for. Only problem is that they gave me two different kinds, and I didn't notice until I got home. Anyways my fiance is going to exchange one of them tomorrow for the matching pair. As for bubbles, she actually came out and was walking across the back of the tank about mid level. Once I saw her I fed her a piece of krill, which she ran forward as I came towards her, grabbed the krill, and jetted (yes "jetted") back to her den. I didn't know she was inside her den because she didn't go to the same entrance. But sure enough after I didn't see her come out of the rocks I looked in her den and there she was. I guess there's a back door and the reason she's been barricading the other entrance is because that hole is larger then she is comfortable with. Even when I found her on the back wall the large white rock was still wedged in the front hole of her den. Over all I feel this is great and that she's finally coming out and exploring her new home.

Bubbles came out to great me today when I got home. she climbed out onto the side of the over flow and watched me for a bit. I gave her some krill and she's sitting outside her den behind the rock work just chilling. She gets bolder and bolder with each passing day. I can't wait till she gets up the courage to start leisurely exploring the rest of the tank.

Attachments

• conv_296227.jpg
    conv_296227.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 117
  • conv_296228.jpg
    conv_296228.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
  • conv_296229.jpg
    conv_296229.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
Bubbles was waiting for me at the front of the tank when I got home. She was hopping and crawling all over the left side of the sand bed looking for food. The second the feeding stick with krill got within about two inches from her she pounced on it. As soon as she freed the krill from the stick she jetted back to her den.

Bad news! The center brace in my tank broke and the glass seems to have pulled apart. I'm going to the store tomorrow after work to buy a new one. There's been no leak yet, and all animals are fine. I'm draining as much water as I can for now into smaller tanks until I can get the animals and rocks moved over then I'll place it back into the new tank. Keep your thumbs crossed they have some large ones still left, and all the animals survive this little ordeal.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back