My first O. Hummelincki

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by skywindsurfer, Apr 1, 2010.

1. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

I just got this little guy (or gale) a few weeks ago. I've been checking it out at the store I go to for water for my weekly water changes every time I went there. This animal was so pretty siting there changing colors and textures like a living kaleidoscope.

Attached Files:

2. skywindsurfer

More pictures

Attached Files:

3. skywindsurfer

More pictures.

Attached Files:

4. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Nice, did you give him/her a name? It seems to be young but you cant really tell by size.

5. dagtaggart

dagtaggart Cuttlefish Supporter

what a cute little guy! is this a diurnal species?

6. skywindsurfer

No name yet. I'm not great at naming things. Plus I just appreciate it for what it is without degrading with a human name. But I was thinking of "Bubbles" lol. Just because it's always balled up and all of it's tiny suckers look like bubbles.

7. skywindsurfer

I don't think it is diurnal. Though it does move a little while the lights are on, it moves mostly after dark.

8. skywindsurfer

I think this animal is just absolutely stunning. I love the black and white pattern it exhibits like the pictures above. That body pattern is my favorite of this species.

9. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

If it is acting nocturnal your environment is inappropriate.

10. skywindsurfer

So this should be a diurnal species then? I have it inside a small plastic box with some sand and a small rock that it sits on. I don't see it crawling around much. It just sits in the middle like you see in the pictures above.

11. Ryan Smith

Yes, hummelcki are diurnal. Any male/female ID? that can help with names.

12. skywindsurfer

No. I've tried to sex it, but like I said it always stays balled up like the photos above. Plus it's still kind of small and I'm not the best at sexing these animals. The key is to look for the hectocotylus, which should be the third arm from the right correct? Well anyways I'll try to get some more pictures. I don't have the best camera so it takes me a little while to get a clear picture. Right now I'm feeding it krill, but it doesn't seem to enjoy that too much. I had my fiance get about five ghost shrimp and put them in there to see how it does with those. I'm also thinking about trying some small pieces of table shrimp. My O. Briareus loved those from day one.

13. skywindsurfer

I've heard stories of O. Mercatoris being kept in small groups together, could the same be done with this species?

14. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

The only recorded attempt with two hummelinicki saw the death of the weaker. O. hummelincki needs a 55 gallon tank stocked with a minimum of 55 pounds of LR and many places to den and hide, not a critter keeper with a single piece of LR.

15. sulley

sulley Wonderpus Registered

agree with d......mine was always out cruising during the day...with that being said i am extremely jealous that you have such a small beautiful specimen...he would be alot happier roaming around...why do you have him in the critter keeper

16. skywindsurfer

I have him in the critter keeper for just that reason, he's so small. I'm waiting for him to get a little bigger before I let him out into my 110 tank with about 70lbs of LR. I want to be able to keep an eye on him and make sure he's eating well. Right now he's not really eating what I'm giving him and I don't have enough hermits in that tank to keep him alive very long.

17. Ryan Smith

I would let it out, Its more likely it will stress in such a small space and injure itself or die, as aposed to it starving. It should accept food from you fairly easy, and couldnt you target feed it?

18. sulley

sulley Wonderpus Registered

mine never really ate hermits...i ould let him out and leave him be for a day...dont run up to tank looking at him evrey 5 mins..its worth a shot seeing that this method doesn't seem to be working... mine loved emeralds and fiddlers..the emeralds you would have better luck finding ones small enough...he doesnt look too happy in this state

19. skywindsurfer

The store I bought him from said they've been feeding him hermits. I put a few in with him when I got him but he didn't seem to eat them. I am using "he" until I know the real sex of this animal. Anyways I took that large rock out and placed a few small ones and he seemed to perk up pretty quickly. He's been out and about now in the light and I fed him a small piece of table shrimp and it took him a minute to figure out it was food, but took it pretty well once under his arms and ate more of it then of the krill.

Attached Files:

20. skywindsurfer

More pictures.

Attached Files: