Meet Biddle

I just looked through Cephbase's pics on Filosus and Biddle does not have an eyespot. I'm really starting to think Vulgaris, especially when the one pic notes "extreme texture expression".... I had no idea this was what I was purchasing and it just goes to show these stores really need to get more educated on their identyfying of what they carry cause "Commen Brown Octopus" obviously does not do it.... And I'm so attached I need to rethink my tank plan quickly as I don't want to have to give him up.....

http://www.cephbase.com/imgdb/imgsr...D=&CephID=495&Location=&Keywords=&LowestTaxa=
http://www.cephbase.com/imgdb/imgsr...D=&CephID=495&Location=&Keywords=&LowestTaxa=

It's all Biddle's fault

Carol,
I have (and I think you too :smile:) been kind of thinking Vulgaris all along (after discounting the coconut octo - can't spell Marginaris without looking it up) because of the extremes of texture and colors. The growth rate also suggest a larger octo and Vulgaris is the most common. As a result, we are seriously considering restetting up our 140 as an octo tank.

I initially wanted a Bimac sized octo and had hoped Trapper was Briarius - tuned out otherwise but I have been totally captivated. Then when you kept multiples, we sort of said, "Why not?" but then there were (are) the babies. Our 140 was set up for seahorses so the "corals" would be safe (or removable) for an octo and we lost our last Erectus a month a go) soooo we have been eyeing that tank and your posts about Biddle have pretty much been the last straw :sagrin:.

Unfortunately, the rock work is not octo safe and will have to be glued so a major breakdown and labor effort will be required. We have been planning another large tank so the critters will be moved to the new tank and the whole process will take the better part of a year but we won't add anything to the 140 in the meantime. The tank is pretty much ideal for an octo (complete with chiller) of most any variety and looks a lot like the Vulgaris tank at Mote. If we do end up with one that big, the tank will be about half the recommended size but still doable with weekly water changes (there were two in the tank at Mote with no more room - possible more water volume though. I want to write Jason and ask but, as Biddle proves out, you never quite know what you get and the tank should be acceptable for anything.

Just thought I would lay the blame on your wonderful, and getting expensive critter.

Well....ya know they have a way of captivating you from the get go and that is exactly why I usually have 2 (in separate tanks) so I never have to go without as I'm so amazed by them. Jess and I are going collecting, (again :smile:) as soon as she gets home from a pool party. I have to say I have never experienced an animal with this food demand and I'm very glad I live within 10 minutes of catching live food for him. We have been averaging once a week collections and now he's so large he pays no mind to the mud snails any more.

I wish I had the space for a 200 gal. He may have to settle for a 100 for now. I'm working on it! I'm hoping my sons can fashion a quick stand out of 2 x 4's and I can use the existing massive culture from my 47 to get it up and running pretty quick. Just have to figure out where it's going.

I know I've said it before (I think in this thread even), but I believe Biddle is a Vulgaris because he looks a lot like O. Filosus only without the eyespots. In the case that renamed O. Filosus to O. Hummelincki it said that O. Filosus used to be considered synonymous with O. Vulgaris, but they later found the species to be synonymous with O. Hummelincki.

I think someone at Mote said that it was considered weird that the 2 vulgaris get along OK, and that they had been caught together.

But never 2 in the same tank....Maybe I should have clarified that. I have tanks on either end of my home so each when I have had 2 have had their own tank.:smile:

Carol,
I think Monty was referring to my comment about converting my existing tank and mentioning the two vulgaris that are housed at Mote.

Monty,
I was more interested in the container size, not in keeping two. I don't think is it over 200 gallons and I know they have mega water but the amount of space may have been deceptive since the tank was out of doors. My interest is more in, "if I go through the pain of redoing the tank, will it accomodate any octo I get, including a vulgaris?". I know these two have grown up in that container and if it is as small as I think, then I will be more comfortable with having met my goal.

dwhatley;101606 said:
Monty,
I was more interested in the container size, not in keeping two. I don't think is it over 200 gallons and I know they have mega water but the amount of space may have been deceptive since the tank was out of doors. My interest is more in, "if I go through the pain of redoing the tank, will it accomodate any octo I get, including a vulgaris?". I know these two have grown up in that container and if it is as small as I think, then I will be more comfortable with having met my goal.

Yeah, I was pretty sure you knew that, but I wanted to clarify for the people who search the site wanting to know if they can keep 2 octos together in one tank. Of course, Mote probably has an open system with fresh seawater, too.

Lesson of the day.....I have kept octopuses over a good 20 years and I did something really stupid....Biddle did not get hurt, but I really did not think. This morning I go out to Biddle's tank and the large bubble filter is totally torn apart....now this is what I do not recommend....Using fishing line to tie together the bubble filter. I just got done with a tiny pair of scissors cutting fishing line from around Biddle's body. He had it wrapped. loosely, thank goodness, but I had to put cuts all around him to remove pieces so it would not tighten up on his legs and body. At first he came after me very red when I put both my hands in the tank, but then he calmed and let me come close to cut the line. Hardware store today for very long plastic wire ties.....

:goofysca: Wow, I have rescued many a marine mammal tangled in fishing line (and even a pigeon once), but it never occurred to me that an octopus could injure itself with fishing line. I often use fishing line to "sew" fiberglass screen over big openings in my tanks. I will be considering other ways to secure the netting.

Good luck.

Biddle is one of those little octopus engineers - always taking things apart. I don't know whether some species are more likely than others to do this, but certainly it varies by individual octopus.

Nancy

Outsmarted.....

I had the bait...One gum ball container with a good sized crab inserted.....I put it in the tank, washed off the glass for clear pics, set up a comfy chair with my camera and waited.....15 minutes later, I decided to add water to the gum ball container with the crab so it would sink more, dashed 2 seconds to rinse and dry my hands before resuming stalking position.....came back and it was over before I even sat down. He had the gum ball container already, snapped it open and was back in position on the back of the tank gloating............

Oh, too bad, I'd love to see the pics! Has he opened this container before?

So please try again with the camera!

Biddle displays such wonderful colors.

Nancy

Nope...Biddle has never opened the container before and I swear he knew why I was sitting so patiently waiting with camera in hand. He took the strainer off the Eheim intake yesterday. I came home to him sitting with the rest of the tube engulfed by his body. I'm wondering if part of him was being sucked up where he had removed the strainer. After he tired of it, I reached in to reattach the strainer and so far he has steered clear of it. We wire tied the bubble filter closed so he can not dismantle it any more. Lately his diet has been Mako shark as I have not had the chance to go to the fish market or collecting with our mini Maine trip. Hope to have new pics sometime this weekend and I will try the bubblegum container again with another crab and hopefully he will cooperate!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back