Meet Biddle

Carrol,
Unless the plastic ties are deceving, I think Biddle has opened a container before (didn't he do this once before?), just not one you gave him to open :sagrin:

Yes he did.....He taunted me with dismantling the wire tied bubble filter for months....till I took drastic action....Now he just rips off the airline tubing about once a day...:smile:

Biddle is doing wonderfully! He's currently eating scallop, crabs and we still have Mako left. I think his growth has slowed as he does not seem to have gained any more to his size. Currently, curled up he is the size of a large grapefruit. His legs as about an inch in width and his mantle is about 4 to 5 inches. He was really mad at me after the last tank overhaul and was "snubbing" me but now he must have cooled off as he's back to observing all of us. Last night he was plastered to the side watching me in the kitchen. His tank sits in a central place in our livingroom where he can observe the entire livingroom, the dining area and my kitchen. I want another one as I really miss having one in my bedroom. My 47 still sits 1/2 full, full of crabs I can't reach and the serpent star that has lived with over 10 octopuses. I may be making a trip to Lancaster next weekend so my hope is to pick up a replacement tank. What kind of sand is recommended these days? All my tanks have the crushed coral.

Something I learned from my local aquarium society: Home Depot sells 50lb bags of crushed limestone for $5 apiece. You have to rinse the crap out of it, but it looks great once clean. Still had a nasty cloud while cycling the tank I used it in but by the time the tank I used it in cycled, it was crystal clear. Haven't had any issues since. Kind of a pain in the butt, but well worth the trouble IMO. The limestone apparently helps buffer the pH very well.

8 months since Biddle arrived as this tiny slithering black blob who was scared of us for about 2 months. I came home tonight and he was out watching, waiting for his nightly scallop. My hand is 6 inches to the wrist. I liked the one pic as you can see his eye, as I never realized how much they bubble out.

December will be 9 months since Biddle arrived. His growth seems to have slowed, thank goodness. Curled up his the size of a large grapefruit. He eats daily and has taken to when he's hungry he goes to the top of the tank and sticks his arms out the tiny openings in the lid. Most is taped but there is 1/8" opening where the lid does not fit tightly and he has discovered if we notice a tip of an arm feeling around the outside of the tank, he gets fed. Looks like something out of a science thriller and I really need to try and get this on photo or video.

Hi carol

what another great job you are doing :smile:

what ID did you conclude? vulgaris???

:smile:

Yes, Biddle has been around a long time and you've given us some wonderful photos of him (but we'd like more!)

Would love to see his arms sticking out the hole signalling for food. Of course, he has you well trained, as they all do.

You're one of our all-time great octopus keepers - you've kept quite a number of them and many have lived a long time.

Keep up the good work!

Nancy

Thanks Nancy! I don't know what I do right, but sometimes I think having access to the fresh food, being I'm 10 minutes from the ocean is a very good thing! Lately Biddle has been eating the large shrimp from Costco and scallops but he seems to be doing great and eating daily!

Colin - Still don't know species...think Vulgaris but I'm not positive as his growth rate has seemed to slow up and I thought they got much larger than Biddle.

And when Biddle arrived he was the size of a 50 cent piece curled up. Took him about 2 months to realize we meant him no harm. Will try to get some pics of his arms coming out of the tank!:smile:

This spikey, looking like a piece of Lava rock seems to be his norm when at rest! If you were out diving, you'd have a hard time realizing there was an octopus sitting there!

Carol,
Intersting that he chooses the spikey look (my favorite). Did you get a chance to see the Vulgaris at Mote? They were very relaxed but did not take on spikey (I think I have pictures posted under the TONMOCON thread) but were pretty smooth the whole time I was watching them (I had to be dragged away). I wonder if that is individual choice or tank decor.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back