Let's play.... NAME THAT BIZARRE CEPHALOPOD!!!!

Kind of self-explanatory, huh? Just try name a bizarre species of cephalopod! Either try to name the first one, or try to think of a weirder one... If you think of a good one, just give clues to it and try to get others to guess it!

Here's the first odd cephalopod:

*clears throat*
1. Lives veeeeeeery deep
2. Isn't as terrifying as its name suggests
3. Is no squid or octopus at all
4. There is no fourth clue. Muahahahaha!

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
DocidicusGigas said:
1. Think Daddy Longlegs
2. Think really weird....
3. Think NEW....
4. Think BIG!
Probably the one they were calling a magnapinnid? With the 'elbows' in the ten identical arms?

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Registered
DocidicusGigas said:
1. Think Daddy Longlegs
2. Think really weird....
3. Think NEW....
4. Think BIG!
Dosidicus,

It must be the "Mystery Squid," which I have not seen conclusively ID'ed or named, but has been linked to the Chiroteuthid line (which you can see more of if you click here.)

To see another big, thus-far-unknown squid, hie thee over to the "Physiology and Biology" forum and check out the photographs of "Mystery Squid 2."

Here's one for you:

What squid's name sounds like a mobile-telephone manufacturer?

:?:

Clem

NickA5582

Sepia elegans
Registered
Steve:It's got to be a nautilus. (I looked it up) :tomato: must... stop.. ..tomatoing........myself... :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:
:nautilus:

Here's a new one (also one clue):
The most sexually dimorphic cephalopods.
:usa:

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
DocidicusGigas said:
WHOA! Tintenfisch got it!!!!!!
She's got skills; shame she's got a one-way ticket on a slow-boat to China.

Nautilus wasn't actually the one I was thinking about ... so there are 2 (you've got to find the other)

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Registered
Tintenfisch said:
I suppose Teleoteuthis compacta (now Onychoteuthis) only counts as a mobile service provider... ;)
Oh my dear sweet Je--

That's damn good, Tintenfisch, but not the critter I was thinking of. You've got three of the letters in hand...you must be holding back.

Squid whose name sounds like a mobile-phone maunfacturer...

A squid who's trying to gobble up other squid's names and replace them with its own...

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Clem said:
That's damn good, Tintenfisch, but not the critter I was thinking of. You've got three of the letters in hand...you must be holding back.
Aw, shucks. :roll:

Indeed... I think the name came up as a pun on another forum? I will let others guess. I suspect the answer is almost unique.. ;)

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
NickA5582 said:
Hmmmmm. Could be any of Argonautidae (Argonauta spp.), Ocythoidae (Ocythoe), Tremoctopodidae (Tremoctopus spp.) or Alloposidae (= Haliphronidae, Haliphron ). I need more clues for this one.....

Re the telephone one .... first letter O, last letter A? (Tintentoontipplekakafish told me....)

Adding to the insanity...

1. Bermudan....
2. May not exist....
3. Enourmous- 200 feet long.....

Let's see you work this out!

PS- it's a loch ness monster kinda thing, so if you're researching, don't try cephalopod sites. You won't find it.

NickA5582

Sepia elegans
Registered
Steve O'Shea said:
NickA5582 said:
Hmmmmm. Could be any of Argonautidae (Argonauta spp.), Ocythoidae (Ocythoe), Tremoctopodidae (Tremoctopus spp.) or Alloposidae (= Haliphronidae, Haliphron ). I need more clues for this one.....
One of them is right, two more clues

1. Nobody has kept one alive in an aquarium for two weeks
2. The females egg cases are prized finds for beachcombers.

Now that Steve knows exactly which one it is, lets have someone else guess.

Members online