Kringles Journal

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by corw314, Dec 30, 2010.

1. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Christmas Day I went on Saltwaterfish.com and they had an octopus available. He is in transit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have no idea what kind he is. Little did I know when I ordered him, we would have a blizzard on the Eastern Coast. I specified Friday delivery as I'm off tomorrow and I am picking him up at the FedEx facility, 2 minutes from my home. He left Port St Lucie, Florida, this afternoon and is in transit. Last night I did a 30% water change, checked all my parameters and tonight I am changing carbon. If he arrives successfully, his name will be Kringle. :fingerscrossed:

2. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

Good luck. I hope everything goes well.

3. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Sweet! That's where I grew up fishing and working!!!! I'm sure i'll recognize him once you post pics...:mrgreen:

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I think ALL the octos from saltwaterfish have been hummelincki (and I believe they come from Haiti). We'll see what's in the package soon :grin:

5. skywindsurfer

Don't you mean..."hummelincki""...:wink:

6. corw314

He arrived at Newark NJ 9 minutes ago..........:smile::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

7. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Good luck Carol! Great name you've chosen!

:octopus:

8. corw314

He's here! Floating at the moment, but dripping to begin momentarily! I was impressed on their packaging! He's big. Size estimate about the size of a tennis ball curled up. He's watching me. all the places he could sit as they have the bag 3/4 blacked out and he's in the clear where we can see him!

9. JMP

JMP O. vulgaris Registered

Welcome Kringle!!!!! Can't wait to see him!

10. skywindsurfer

Congrats on the safe arrival. I can't wait to see more pictures.

11. corw314

After 1/2 hour of floating and an hour of dripping he's floating around in the tank in the bag. I like to let them come out on their own. I turned off the tank light. Told Kevin, my son to leave Kringle be. He's very stressed. I'm still keeping fingers crossed.:fingerscrossed: Jess and I are off to Pa, Lancaster till next year....a yearly tradition. Mother and daughter bonding time! Hate to leave the Kringle watch but my son will be home soon so he can update me.

12. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

:welcome: Kringle, can't wait to hear more!

13. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to Kringle - what a nice name!

Nancy

14. corw314

We just arrived home from pa. I went right to the tank and Kringle was sitting outside the den where all the octopuses love to live. He was startled at first and was flinching as I approached the tank, but then recognized I think a possible food source as he started pacing on the front of the tank. I bought scallops, shrimp, couple pieces of blue claw crabs from the local fish market on the way home and offered him a large shrimp on a feeding stick. He grabbed it without hesitation and then proceeded to drag both the shrimp and feeding stick to his cave. By the time he got to the cave, Jess has brought me the camera and it was too late to document the tug of war! Right now he is sitting outside his cave eating! I see eyespots. I'm thinking hummelincki! His mantle has to be almost 2". I hope I have some time with him/her.

The first shot was when I was done dripping yesterday. I think he was shocky just because of the minimal movement and interaction, plus most octopuses I have received do not sit in the bag with their legs as his were. I think he floated around in the bag all afternoon, before Kevin came home around 5 and found him sitting in the top corner of the tank. He was very active till I got home today, I think cause he was very hungry. There are a few small crabs in the tank from the previous, but he did not go for them.

15. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Glad to hear things are going well for you both :grin:
    What kind of gurantee do they give on an octopus, the usual 15 day as it says on thier website?

16. DWhatley

I have found with this species, size is not a good clue on age. Tiny Serendipity and very small Maya started brooding after 2 weeks where Octane (about the size of Kringle I think) was a large male when he arrived and still lived 7 months as did somewhat smaller OhToo. :fingerscrossed: Kringle is male and not fully grown.

17. corw314

That's good to hear Di! Saltwaterfish.com has proven to me to be very reliable. They gave me a credit from 2 years ago, which they still had on file and yes that is correct on the 15 day. He ate my hermit crab! I had hoped he would leave it alone, but this morning there was obvious carnage over night. He's sitting in the opening of the synthetic cave looking very relaxed and happy with himself! I noticed he has one tiny arm in the middle. Not sure if this is regrowth, as it is very tiny compared to the rest of his legs. I added to my cleanup crew with a pencil urchin, 5 snails and tiny hermit crabs. (the one he ate was a freebie from the petshop as it was in a tank by itself, so the guy gave it to me). So far so good, after is questionable arrival. What do you think Di of the one arrival shot that I think was him in shock?

18. DWhatley

Not that there is any guarnantee but go back and read my first post on Octane. I was amaze on the similarity or observation and concern.

19. corw314

I'm concerned. His appetite is not the norm. He ate the first day, quite a bit of a large shrimp. Yesterday, he took it but kept dropping it. I offered a piece of scallop, fresh fish, and the shrimp which he kept picking it up but looks like he hardly ate any of it. The large hermit I thought he ate, switched shells. There are 2 feeder crabs in the tank he has no interest in. During the day he comes out and is brown, pacing the sides of the tank. At night he goes back to his den, sits for a few minutes black and white, spikey goes inside and sleeps the night. Today I am going back to the seafood place and a petshop for prawn and fresh shrimp. Think being it was farmraised, I need to hit a seafood place closer to the ocean. Still keeping :fingerscrossed:

20. DWhatley

Octane and OhToo (the two males I have kept) always went to bed at lights out. Octane would often be in mid swim to his den when the timer turned the lights out. OhToo ate less than half of what Octane did, in spite of Neal's coaxing :wink: