Kringles Journal

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Christmas Day I went on Saltwaterfish.com and they had an octopus available. He is in transit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have no idea what kind he is. Little did I know when I ordered him, we would have a blizzard on the Eastern Coast. I specified Friday delivery as I'm off tomorrow and I am picking him up at the FedEx facility, 2 minutes from my home. He left Port St Lucie, Florida, this afternoon and is in transit. Last night I did a 30% water change, checked all my parameters and tonight I am changing carbon. If he arrives successfully, his name will be Kringle. :fingerscrossed:

I think ALL the octos from saltwaterfish have been hummelincki (and I believe they come from Haiti). We'll see what's in the package soon :biggrin2:

He's here! Floating at the moment, but dripping to begin momentarily! I was impressed on their packaging! He's big. Size estimate about the size of a tennis ball curled up. He's watching me. all the places he could sit as they have the bag 3/4 blacked out and he's in the clear where we can see him!

After 1/2 hour of floating and an hour of dripping he's floating around in the tank in the bag. I like to let them come out on their own. I turned off the tank light. Told Kevin, my son to leave Kringle be. He's very stressed. I'm still keeping fingers crossed.:fingerscrossed: Jess and I are off to Pa, Lancaster till next year....a yearly tradition. Mother and daughter bonding time! Hate to leave the Kringle watch but my son will be home soon so he can update me.

We just arrived home from pa. I went right to the tank and Kringle was sitting outside the den where all the octopuses love to live. He was startled at first and was flinching as I approached the tank, but then recognized I think a possible food source as he started pacing on the front of the tank. I bought scallops, shrimp, couple pieces of blue claw crabs from the local fish market on the way home and offered him a large shrimp on a feeding stick. He grabbed it without hesitation and then proceeded to drag both the shrimp and feeding stick to his cave. By the time he got to the cave, Jess has brought me the camera and it was too late to document the tug of war! Right now he is sitting outside his cave eating! I see eyespots. I'm thinking hummelincki! His mantle has to be almost 2". I hope I have some time with him/her.

The first shot was when I was done dripping yesterday. I think he was shocky just because of the minimal movement and interaction, plus most octopuses I have received do not sit in the bag with their legs as his were. I think he floated around in the bag all afternoon, before Kevin came home around 5 and found him sitting in the top corner of the tank. He was very active till I got home today, I think cause he was very hungry. There are a few small crabs in the tank from the previous, but he did not go for them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back