Kringles Journal

No crab/shrimp order yet........:hmm::hmm: He does not like scallops. Rejects them almost immediately. I hope to get the order today and I'm thinking even if they arrive dead, they will be cold enough that they will not spoil only hopefully Kringle will eat them!

It must be due to the weather. If some or all are dead, since they have been so very cold I would freeze them for later feeding. I lost 3, Poe accepted them with gusto. These little guys are so individual with likes and dislikes they remind me of my kids. I remember school lunches, I had to make sandwiches 3 different ways, 1 w/mayo, 1 w/mustard, and one dry.

I tracked down my fiddler/shrimp order. They were sitting in a bin at the local post office. I waited 20 minutes, while the woman brought me things that were work related but not what I needed. Good news is even though a snowstorm and freezing weather and 3 days in transit, I only lost 4 fiddlers and a few shrimp. I paid extra for extra Styrofoam and it seemed to do the job. Kringle is happily munching away on 2 fiddlers, which he grabbed at once.

Well....Kringle survived my being gone house hunting in South Carolina.....but I came home to petrified crabs......Son thought fiddlers did not need water to survive.....:roll:Off to the bait shop today! And Kringle is happily eating a snail!

Kringle accepted a piece of frozen shrimp this morning! Very relieved! He has been up in the corner, munching, trying to blow away our faces at the glass. Today it's off to the bait and tackle shop for what they are calling white leg crabs. Have no idea what they mean by this but I will find out! So far so good! Need to do a waterchange today.

Kringle is now accepting frozen food. He loves blue claw crabs! I have quite a large bag of frozen pieces that he is now accepting. I'm so relieved. He's big! I tried to take a photo with the tape measure by him but not sure you really get the correct sizing. His mantle is 4" and his body span is 6".

Last night I started a water change at 5:30. Kringle was in his cave. Well....seems like water changes never go according to plan. I took down the huge Eheim and could not get it back up running. After emptying and refilling 3 times, I finally ran to Tropaquarium for a new impeller, upon return there is Kringle out curled up in the top back corner of the tank right where I needed to work. Took the Eheim down yet again, added additional hose to the intake to get the filter further below the waterline and finally got it functioning the way it should. What concerned me is Kringle continued to hang now in the front of the tank at the top, his coloring was black and white split right down the center of his body. I was glad to see his legs were not curlyqued. I touched him a few times, just checking on him and got blasted with a water canon all over me and the floor. 5am check found him back in his cave and this morning he took a large shrimp and ate all of it. Not sure what was going on with him, if all the activity with the water change bothered him or what but today he seems back to his normal self.

It's been 2 1/2 months since Kringle came to live with us. He's doing very well. Eating every other day. He does not want me to touch him though. I have been giving him a piece of shrimp and since he has been staying by the top with his food, playing with his legs since his mouth is full and cannot bring my finger to his mouth. He pushes my finger away by bringing his suckers down to the tip of my finger and then blowing it away. Really funny. He mostly is black when he is out prowling. Last night Kevin caught sight of him swimming the length of my 70 gallon tank.

Absolutely gorgeous! Nice photos of him as well. I was wondering if I could sit on Kringles lap and tell him what I wish for this christmas? I've been a good girl I Promise. lol

Of the species we keep, I think this one is the most different from animal to animal. I have kept four (two male and two female) and all were differently sized, ate different amounts of food and interacted differently (little Serendipity not at all). Kringle's a keeper even if he distains your direct attention :biggrin2:. Have the boys tried to pet him at all? It seems odd but we have seen some of our react differently to the human sex. Obviously it must be a "smell" since they would not have a clue visually but there does seem to be a potential for detecting the difference.

My son, Kevin has not tried to touch him at all. I'm wondering if old age is setting in as Kevin noticed Kringle's one eye is now white....:sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back