• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Incredible behavior

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Sneaky and effective camoflage.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I really dislike seeing sentience die, a fact of life, I know, but saddening nonetheless :sad:

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
The first time I saw a glimpse of "something" in the corner, my mind took an educated guess and thought "Cuttlefish", then it attacked.

Really cool video though.

MarieK

Larval Mass
Registered
Awww, the cute little octopod was just playing with the equipment when BAM, I thought the cuttlefish was some seaweed or something. Still excellent video. Poor little octi.

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
WHOA - interspecific ceph predation! I've never seen that before.

lance

Wonderpus
Registered
Wow

that was incredible I didn't think a cuttlefish would go after an Octopus for food. Is that common?

lance

micstarz

Blue Ring
Registered
I actually think it is the diver's fault. If he/she hadn't attracted the octopus' attention and curiosity and encouraged interaction, perhaps the octopus would have been alert and would have escaped.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
micstarz;136032 said:
I actually think it is the diver's fault. If he/she hadn't attracted the octopus' attention and curiosity and encouraged interaction, perhaps the octopus would have been alert and would have escaped.
Perhaps. Perhaps had it been food or some other distraction rather than the diver the outcome would have been the same.

micstarz

Blue Ring
Registered
Animal Mother;136034 said:
Perhaps. Perhaps had it been food or some other distraction rather than the diver the outcome would have been the same.
True, but the diver could also have been a beacon that attracted the cuttle :P

Who knows :D

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
I was so intriqued by the octopus (and how cute is was as it played with the equipment) I totally didn't see the cuttle. I guess if the diver was looking through the camera, they would be totally oblivious to it too. (Otherwise, I'm fairly sure they would have zoomed out!)

Members online