i have a 10g and i want to get a merc.

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by fishkid6692, Mar 11, 2008.

1. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

i have a 10 gallon and it's a little small but if i do frequent water changes (maybe twice a week) can i do it? i was going to make it a small reef but since my octo died i really want another. and i'm making my old octo tank into a reef because i'm getting a 75g for a briareus.

2. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Ill leave it to the experts, but Im running a 12 gallon reef system and doing one gallon water changes everyday since I dont have a skimmer. So with an octopus in that sized tank, even with a skimmer you will definetly want to change 1 gallon a day.

3. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Personally I think it's a bit small. Even with frequent water changes you're increasing the risk of a catastrophic collapse of the system. I know you're very keen for another octopus, but bigger (in terms of tanks!) is almost always better (my :twocents: ).

J

4. clyde:)

clyde:) O. bimaculoides Registered

:spongebo:!!!!

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I think the value of Jeans 2 cents is probably higher... than 2 cents.

I kept a mercatoris in a 10 gallon. It absolutely hated it.

6. fishkid6692

ok i'll wait. i will have to wait until after summer until i can get another octo. is there any other octo that is smaller than a merc? i'm not saying i'm going to get one but how big do blue rings get?

7. Jean

BR's are small, around 12 cm (~4-5 inches) in total length, Golf ball size is often quoted. Still a risky business having them though!!

J

8. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

would they fit in a 10 gallon, or is it impossible to get an octo in a 10 gallon happily

9. Jean

I wouldn't, they still produce mega-quantities of waste. IMO 10G (~37L for us metric folk :grin:) is just too small for a ceph long term, it's chemistry is likely to be overwhelmed, plus octopus in particular are inquisitive animals and really need a decent sized tank to explore. I'd go 20G (for dwarf/pygmy/midget species) as a minimum really.

As responsible animal owners I feel we have, if you like, a duty of care to the animals we keep and that includes a comfortable home space that is big enough to keep them both biologically and psychologically happy, as a kid I always hated chimp tea parties and the sight of large animals like bears or the big cats pacing and swaying in too small boring cages.....as far as I'm concerned marine animals need the same respect.

OK I'll get off my soapbox now :grad::oops::oops:

J

10. varez

varez Pygmy Octopus Registered

hmm

my buddy has an octo in a 16 gal bowl front tank with much live rock/sand and it seems to be doin alright. he has a 20 gal bio-wheel filter and a heater in the tank. im not sure what type of octo it was but it was (the head) smaller than a gold ball.:lol:

11. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

fishkid you might want to think about the 75 gallon for a briareus. they get just as large as a vulgaris. conanny is in a 125 gallon tank and she is only half grown yet she can stretch almost halfway across the tank already. just something to consider

12. fishkid6692

yeah it will be done in a few months. how big do you think the octo will be when i buy it from you?

13. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

if you want it when its eating shore shrimp it will have a mantle about 3/4 or 1 inch long and and legs about 2 inches or so but they will grow very quickly. these guys get mantles the size of grape fruit and legs 3 feet long thats 6 feet wide all stretched out.

14. Jean

The key word here is "seems" to be. How long has he had it? BTW the "head" is actually the body or mantle. An octopuses actual head is the section between the bulbous mantle and the arms (oh my..... aquarium educator speak attacks again :roll:) tell your buddy to watch his water chemistry very carefully and it may pay him to start getting a bigger tank ready for when it becomes an adult, that tank is just not going to cut the mustard!

J

15. fishkid6692

i know how big they get. but i can't set up my 75g until after summer. and i really want a baby briareus.

16. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

One thing's for sure. Without patience, nothing goes right in this hobby.