• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

i have a 10g and i want to get a merc.

fishkid6692

Wonderpus
Registered
i have a 10 gallon and it's a little small but if i do frequent water changes (maybe twice a week) can i do it? i was going to make it a small reef but since my octo died i really want another. and i'm making my old octo tank into a reef because i'm getting a 75g for a briareus.

Ill leave it to the experts, but Im running a 12 gallon reef system and doing one gallon water changes everyday since I dont have a skimmer. So with an octopus in that sized tank, even with a skimmer you will definetly want to change 1 gallon a day.

Personally I think it's a bit small. Even with frequent water changes you're increasing the risk of a catastrophic collapse of the system. I know you're very keen for another octopus, but bigger (in terms of tanks!) is almost always better (my :twocents: ).

J

Jean;112503 said:
Personally I think it's a bit small. Even with frequent water changes you're increasing the risk of a catastrophic collapse of the system. I know you're very keen for another octopus, but bigger (in terms of tanks!) is almost always better (my :twocents: ).

J

I think the value of Jeans 2 cents is probably higher... than 2 cents.

I kept a mercatoris in a 10 gallon. It absolutely hated it.

ok i'll wait. i will have to wait until after summer until i can get another octo. is there any other octo that is smaller than a merc? i'm not saying i'm going to get one but how big do blue rings get?

fishkid6692;112509 said:
ok i'll wait. i will have to wait until after summer until i can get another octo. is there any other octo that is smaller than a merc? i'm not saying i'm going to get one but how big do blue rings get?

BR's are small, around 12 cm (~4-5 inches) in total length, Golf ball size is often quoted. Still a risky business having them though!!

J

Jean;112515 said:
BR's are small, around 12 cm (~4-5 inches) in total length, Golf ball size is often quoted. Still a risky business having them though!!

J

would they fit in a 10 gallon, or is it impossible to get an octo in a 10 gallon happily

L8 2 RISE;112516 said:
would they fit in a 10 gallon, or is it impossible to get an octo in a 10 gallon happily

I wouldn't, they still produce mega-quantities of waste. IMO 10G (~37L for us metric folk :biggrin2:) is just too small for a ceph long term, it's chemistry is likely to be overwhelmed, plus octopus in particular are inquisitive animals and really need a decent sized tank to explore. I'd go 20G (for dwarf/pygmy/midget species) as a minimum really.

As responsible animal owners I feel we have, if you like, a duty of care to the animals we keep and that includes a comfortable home space that is big enough to keep them both biologically and psychologically happy, as a kid I always hated chimp tea parties and the sight of large animals like bears or the big cats pacing and swaying in too small boring cages.....as far as I'm concerned marine animals need the same respect.

OK I'll get off my soapbox now :grad::oops::oops:

J

hmm

my buddy has an octo in a 16 gal bowl front tank with much live rock/sand and it seems to be doin alright. he has a 20 gal bio-wheel filter and a heater in the tank. im not sure what type of octo it was but it was (the head) smaller than a gold ball.:lol:

fishkid you might want to think about the 75 gallon for a briareus. they get just as large as a vulgaris. conanny is in a 125 gallon tank and she is only half grown yet she can stretch almost halfway across the tank already. just something to consider

if you want it when its eating shore shrimp it will have a mantle about 3/4 or 1 inch long and and legs about 2 inches or so but they will grow very quickly. these guys get mantles the size of grape fruit and legs 3 feet long thats 6 feet wide all stretched out.

varez;112588 said:
my buddy has an octo in a 16 gal bowl front tank with much live rock/sand and it seems to be doin alright. he has a 20 gal bio-wheel filter and a heater in the tank. im not sure what type of octo it was but it was (the head) smaller than a gold ball.:lol:

The key word here is "seems" to be. How long has he had it? BTW the "head" is actually the body or mantle. An octopuses actual head is the section between the bulbous mantle and the arms (oh my..... aquarium educator speak attacks again :roll:) tell your buddy to watch his water chemistry very carefully and it may pay him to start getting a bigger tank ready for when it becomes an adult, that tank is just not going to cut the mustard!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back