Herbivory in Cephalopods??

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by Octopon, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Octopon

Octopon Larval Mass Registered

I have a question I've been pondering for, literally, YEARS and have been unable to find an answer for. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any species of Cephalopods whose diets consisted to any degree of non-Animal or Vegetative material. Now, I highly doubt there is any such thing as an Herbivorous Cephalopod (though I would be delighted to discover this!), but I wonder if there might be some specy (I have no idea if 'specy' is linguistically correct in any way or not, but it's a convention I've used for the singular of 'species' for years now) out there that ingests Macroalgae or perhaps even sessile Organisms like Cnidarians or something. Anyone have a clue? :hmm:

2. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

I dont know about herbivory :sad:

But Species is singular and plural

3. Mara

Mara Larval Mass Registered

I don´t Know and don´t read nothing about the herbivory in cephalopods...but do you need to see what kind of the food that animals eating. Because, could be a different part of the body's animals living with this cephalopod, maybe!

4. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

There is a possibility that coelenterates comprise part of the prey in Haliphron atlanticus (but not 'vegetarian' as far as I know - I would be extremely surprised if agae were ingested unless accidentally; see the thread on Dosidicus defrosting by Heather in this forum).

5. Octopon

Octopon Larval Mass Registered

I read the thread by Heather - extraordinarily interesting, but I'm confused by your comments on the thread. How would kelp get into the stomachs of dead Squid? Or am I misunderstanding? Do they attack and ingest it while they're dying or something? And what do you think that feather's all about? Same? You think it went for a bird and got a feather instead? o_O

6. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

Around Vancouver Island where Heather's squid are from, there are a lot of kelp forests. So the kelp may have been ingested while the squid was eating a prey item that got caught in it. I'm not sure though. Just a guess, but all the stomachs I have looked at, there are no signs of vegetation....goo yes, vegetation no.

7. Heather Braid

Heather Braid O. vulgaris Supporter

I believe that the Humboldt squid from the strandings that I looked at were actually ingesting kelp and seaweed on purpose. I can't be sure, but several stomachs contained plant material. The last squid that I dissected had 36 grams of plant matter in his stomach, part of a fish, two rocks, and some sand. With that much seaweed it seemed to me that it must have been intentional, but I could be wrong. There was undigested plant matter in the intestine, so I don't think they have the ability to digest it.

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Heather, could you tell if the intestines were being blocked by the plant matter? Was any of it Kelp?

9. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Some weird stuff has been found in Architeuthis stomachs as well - see attached synopsis from the Intro of Bolstad & O'Shea (2004). I'm pretty sure the sand, stones and probably seaweeds are all accidental ingestion, although the higher weight you found in Dosidicus is interesting, Heather.

Bolstad, K.S.; O’Shea, S. 2004. Gut contents of a giant squid Architeuthis dux (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida) from New Zealand waters. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 31: 15–21.

Attached Files:

10. Teuthman

Teuthman Pygmy Octopus Registered

Are cephalopods even capable of digesting plant material? I have always heard and read that they are strictly carnivorous.

11. Steve O'Shea

That would be my understanding too, but I never cease to be amazed these days. I would remain inclined to think that ingestion of algal material was accidental, but I would not go as far as to say they'd never do it deliberately (my cats eat grass, I believe, when they've got gastric 'issues;' having said this, my cats have issues!).

12. DWhatley

ALL cats have issues, that's what makes them cats.

13. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Yes, because it makes them barf! We had a 'bulimic' dog that used to do this too - learned to keep her outside after she'd been grazing. :/

14. Steve O'Shea

Perhaps you should walk your octopus or squid every day, so it can chew its cud, barf, and not soil the tank

15. DWhatley

That would reduce water changes but what would the neighbors think?

16. ceph

ceph Wonderpus Staff Member Moderator

CephBase had 1000's of predation records. Among them was a single record of algae in a ceph's stomach. The papers authors and I both believe that this was an anomaly. As far as I know, all cephs are predators with most preferring live prey.

17. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I'd agree, we've had times when we've had to let the octopus go hungry for a few days (ran out of crabs and bad weather so couldn't get the boats out) NOT a good scenario, anyway our octopus wouldn't touch fish fillets never mind the seaweed in the tank!

18. snowmaker

snowmaker Vampyroteuthis Registered

I don't like to wander off topic frequently, but since the door has already been opened...
    My late Lab / Mutt loved veggies. She would steal carrots right out of a neighbors garden (to his amusement, not anger) and oddly, loved Romaine lettuce, but wouldn't touch Iceberg. Skinned apples, oranges and grapes (only if I peeled them) were liked as well - note that these skins are supposedly not good for canines - the pectin ya know...

I have often wondered why some aquarists will feed their wet-pets terrestrial foods like spinach for herbivorous fishes and garlic, of all things.

19. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

You might as well be asking why people top off at gas stations

20. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

And canids are often quite omniverous, wolves etc in the wild will eat berries etc, my dogs also love carrots, apples, bananas and also grapes (although they never get those as according to our vet the whole grape is toxic!). Seamus my spaniel LOVES raspberries off the cane, it's so funny to watch him curl up his lips so he doesn't get prickled and nip off the berries! BUT I've never seen this behaviour (plant eating) in cephs, I think their protein based metabolism just can't deal with the cellulose, and they just don't seem to recognise algae a potential food source (unlike my garbage guts dog!)