Interested in Cephalopod Behaviour/Evolution/Neuroethology PhD Anywhere

Hi there,

I'm Ralph and I'm a 3rd year Marine Biology student at Bangor University, UK looking for a PhD in cephalopod behaviour, evolution or neuroethology from Sep 2025 or later. I'm particularly interested in Nautiluses or Octopuses but any ceph will do! Do any of you fine people have any recommendations or advice?

All the best :smile:

Cool @ralphecmerrifield -- welcome to the site! Not that I have any leads, but are you focused on the UK, or are you open to going abroad? Tons of incredible work being done in your areas of interest at Marine Biological Labs in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA. They have a big event coming up, in fact:

Hello @ralphecmerrifield ! Great to hear that you're planning to do a PhD in cephs! Caen, France is pretty well known for studying ceph behaviour but they usually study cuttlefish - check out the research by Ludovic Dickel, Christelle Jozet-Alves, and Anne-Sophie Darmaillacq! Otherwise, like @tonmo mentioned, MBL is an AMAZING lab to work in!

Cool @ralphecmerrifield -- welcome to the site! Not that I have any leads, but are you focused on the UK, or are you open to going abroad? Tons of incredible work being done in your areas of interest at Marine Biological Labs in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA. They have a big event coming up, in fact:
Nice to meet you! I'm definitely open to going abroad on this one because there doesn't seem to be masses in the UK, and thanks for the link I'll check it out :smile:

Hello @ralphecmerrifield ! Great to hear that you're planning to do a PhD in cephs! Caen, France is pretty well known for studying ceph behaviour but they usually study cuttlefish - check out the research by Ludovic Dickel, Christelle Jozet-Alves, and Anne-Sophie Darmaillacq! Otherwise, like @tonmo mentioned, MBL is an AMAZING lab to work in!
Thanks very much for your help, I love France :biggrin2:

Have you looked into joining any UK-based cephalopod groups? Those are usually ripe with veterans who can probably help suggest some options. The Malacological Society of London and Cephalopod International Advisory Council which I believe is based out of Cambridge.

I also know of one contact in Germany who might be of interest to talk to, at the Senckenburg Research Institute. Her name is Julia Sigwart ([email protected]). I’m sure she’d love to help find what you’re looking for. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back