H.P. Lovecraft - A. aculeatus... I think...

Just so you will know your fears are justified here is a video of ONE of Octane's misadventures. The beginning of escape signs started to be noted here and I'll not link you to the final outcome but he did ultimately escape because I was careless (no fault of the tank lid) and ultimately died because of the exposure.

Unfortunately a really funny video of Kalypso trying to escape is no longer available on Photobucket (they have so made that site terrible and IMO have gone from best to worst with their attempts to become financially stable).

Ok its been a few days...

I have figured out that HP is in fact female. Her arms have grown out more than enough to see that she has suckers all the way to the tips on all of her new arms. Growth on the new arms is amazing. I have had her a little over 2 weeks and she has already grown them out to more than double what they were.

I have also realized, at least for the time being, HP is a chicken. She can pick on shrimp but I put a few SMALL soft shelled crabs in there... maybe a half inch and she freaked out. She had herself turned around facing the inside of the tank "watching her back" as it were. I put them in hoping she would like to be able to hunt when ever she wished as she is still very skittish and wont eat any of the food I feed on the stick. So far all she will eat is frozen crabs and live shrimp. Apparently she catches them just fine when she wants. But she didnt relax until she watched me take them out.

Question.... HP has been acting kind of weird and I think its because shes trying to shead her suckers but I'm not sure and wanted to ask you guys. What kind of behavior should I look for in this? Also I have noticed 3 spots on HP's mantle. They look like small sores... I will try and get some photos and videos of all the stuff I see going on but it wont be up loaded till tonight at the earliest. Should I treat her water with antibiotics because of the sores?

HP got her arm in the power head today... The arm is fine... or at least it appeared to be. I saw no real damage. I guess something like that is to be expected with such long arms. She is coming out earlier and earlier which makes me think shes adjusting to the new time schedule.

I have tried putting some toys in the tank and she seems absolutly unenchanted. I put a fiddler crab in a container so I could see if she is actually eating or if its the hermits and shrimp getting to the crabs. I know she didnt eat the one I had in there yesterday but I did find one of the shrimps shells floating around... That seems to be one of the draw backs to having other things in the tank that eats the same type of foods. I just never really know if shes eating.

I think the spots on her mantle itch... I watch her and it looks like shes scratching her mantle or trying to on the glass.
I know some of you keep corals in the tanks with your octos and I am wondering if the mushrooms and xenias and polyps have caused the sores? Or some of the TINY crabs that I had put in there, maybe they did it? I dont know.

I have a toy in the tank... an orange star that floats... its kind of big, its one of those shape toys that helps babys learn what shapes are and are big enough for babies to hold.. anyway, HP was doing something and the star had been pulled to the bottom because on of the turbo snails had hitched a ride. Well the snail got off.... and up went the star.. poor HP was frightened and swam to the other side of the tank in a hurry. She has yet to ink, not sure if thats good or bad... I guess it depends on the outlook. I mean I know ink is a problem but, if she cant ink anymore for some reason is that bad?

Mantle white spots (where they won't color) are often a sign of senescence (as is poor appetite). Unfortunately, this has been a frequent issue with aculeatus likely because the older ones are easier to find and catch. It is also possible that these are signs of infection and if you can get her to eat, you can try putting tetracycline in the food. I have had decent luck with it with an infected arm but not with senescent eye swelling.

I have a video of SueNami doing the sucker-shed that you can watch to see if the behavor looks similar. Ceph also has an in situ version.

dwhatley;156798 said:
Mantle white spots (where they won't color) are often a sign of senescence (as is poor appetite). Unfortunately, this has been a frequent issue with aculeatus likely because the older ones are easier to find and catch. It is also possible that these are signs of infection and if you can get her to eat, you can try putting tetracycline in the food. I have had decent luck with it with an infected arm but not with senescent eye swelling.

I was afriad you were going to say something like that. In truth I have been wondering if that was the case for a few days now. I got a better look at the spots and there are 3 white spots that dont change color. I did notice several days after I got her that her mantle seemed to change shape. It is kind of "pointy" near the end and looked a little deflated. I need a refresher on end of life behaviors so I will be reading a lot today. I hope you are wrong but I fear you arent. Which actually leads me to my next question... if she is in fact at the end of her life shouldnt she be brooding? That is unless some how I was wrong about the arm (though I dont think I am) As long as a female has suckers going all the way to the tip then shes a she.

Last night was awesome. She came out really late and we were "playing". I have been doing this thing where I lightly scratch the side of the tank with my finger since I got her. Last night I did it from inside the tank and she was very interested. She kept touching my hand with her arms and moving back and forth watching me. She was cautious and careful and not sure what to make of me but she touched me several times with interest. I was tickle pink. I had a great time.

I havent seen her eyes swell but I did see the star on her eye. I wish my camera was better... Now that I am pretty sure she wont be here that much longer I want to make sure I have everything I can to remember her. I thought about starting an octo photo album that I can flip through.

I have found that I do way better keeping a public journal than trying to keep my own private one. I get reminded to take photos and I post back links to my own (and others) journal because I remember little things that might be helpful. It also forces me to dump the camera card regularly and label the photos. My other pictures are nowhere near as well organized.

Well, ask and you shall receive... I havent seen HP in 2 days now. I guess shes brooding or dead. I think tonight after the kids go to bed if I havent seen her I will have to go looking for her. Not that I will have much luck, but I cant stand the idea of her being in there dead and I not know it.

I went looking for her last night and I think the only way I will actually find her for now is if I take apart the rock work. I think I will wait a few days but keeping check on the water so I dont totally miss when she passes and can know when to go fish her out.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back