[Octopus]: Briareus and bristle worms

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hey guys!

I was able to get a new baby briareus back in March who has been doing great!

She is much different than the previous two Bimacs I had! I have to say, I think I prefer the Bimacs to be honest.

None the less we adore her!!

I just went to drop a crab in her tank as she was out and moving around hunting for food and I noticed she had a bristle/fire worm stuck under her. Has anyone seen this before? I wouldn’t imagine they eat these things?
IMG_5096.jpeg

Hi, how are you? Be very careful they can be harmful to your octopus! Check tank after lights are out for awhile to see how many and how big they are? Take a pic of one if you can? There are other worms that look like them. If you k ow where your octopus is move a rock or two to see if you can locate one. Wear gloves! Thanks Tom

Hi, how are you? Be very careful they can be harmful to your octopus! Check tank after lights are out for awhile to see how many and how big they are? Take a pic of one if you can? There are other worms that look like them. If you k ow where your octopus is move a rock or two to see if you can locate one. Wear gloves! Thanks Tom
Hi, Tom! Doing good in my neck of the woods! Hope you are doing good as well!

I have looked in the past and seen only one or two thankfully there isnt an infestation I have seen! Maybe I will look into those 3D printed traps and see if I can catch any!

She tends to hang out under a base rock of the arch we have. That structure is cemented together so I would not be able to move. It is probably 50+ lbs!

I have not seen her since I snapped the picture but that is normal for her. We usually see her for a few minuets maybe 2-3 times a week if we are lucky. She is very very shy! I will update the thread once I see her again and hopefully can get a visual under her

I have an idea on what was going on but still no concrete evidence. I saw her briefly yesterday but as soon as the tank light came on she was gone and has not been seen since. She is the most shy and timid of all my octopus'

My theory is the crab I put in the tank for her (bigger than a fiddler I harvested them at the local beach) attracted the worms and in the process of her eating it the worm must have gotten entangled/she grabbed it. That is the only thing I can think of. After her being the size of a finger digit when I got her and now being what I assume is full grown and this having never happened for I am inclined to think the bigger crabs and longer time it would take for her dispatch and eat brought the worms out.

My last order of Fiddlers came almost all DOA. Out of 5 dozen I had 12 or so live after the 1 week mark. The heat is brutal in TX. She is not a huge fan of shrimp or clams either.

Will continue to update as I know more. I would assume she will be out sometime in the next day or two to hunt so I will see what I can find out find then!

This morning when I got up for work she was on the glass eating a snail. There was no signs of a bristle worm thank goodness!

I dropped another crab in the tank and started getting ready for work. When I was done I checked on her and she had located and was eating the crab!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back