freshwater crayfish?

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by ccopelin, Mar 3, 2011.

1. ccopelin

ccopelin Pygmy Octopus Registered

What are the ups and downs of feeding then to my octo? I live on a very clean creek and can grab them out by the dozens. This would really save me money, but i know they might not give the proper nutrition. Are they ok every once in a while? Whats the word?

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

The suggested use of cray/crawfish is as treats (or if you run out of food :grin:). I order them every couple of months as a change for our octos and the octopuses love them. I started a thread to try to get a clearer picture of their nutritional value but had not succeeded in finding enough information to have a good picture.

3. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

IMO I would say since they are so easily available to you that giving them once a week would be ok. Considering some people here dont feed their octos every day if you feed them once or twice a week (days when they would normally be with out food) then that would be fine as they wouldnt be loosing any real nutrition considering you are still feeding other foods. I would say the best thing is to make sure they have variety. Crabs-hermits, fiddlers, blue crabs (if you have a larger octo) actually any crab (size applicable) along with shrimp and some crayfish would be a good diet.

I would not suggest feeding the octo crayfish exclusively as this is a foreign food source for them and the nutritional value is unknown.

4. ccopelin

ccopelin Pygmy Octopus Registered

Thanks guys! Mantle to crab body size whats a good size? I have a oriental market that has live blue crab near me. The 2 cuttles I have have the past few years took to frozen so that was easy. If i cant get this guy to he could be very expensive. I am trying to come up with options. My brother lives in marathon key and just sent me a hundred or so real large hermits. I am going to try giving a couple of those, a crayfish or 2 and a blue crab each weak.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I recently had excellent success feeding shelled hermits so if it does not take the hermits, you can remove them from the shell and offer them that way.

I try to keep to half the mantle size or smaller but a lot depends on the octopus. Monty won't take pieces of shrimp if he thinks they are too large. It took us awhile to realize that size mattered :roll:.