• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[FEATURED]: octopus's food

Innuendo6

Larval Mass
Registered
Hi guys, how's everyone doing?

I'm from Singapore and i would like to keep an octopus as a pet. i'm starting my research and planning phase and hopefully i can get it done in 2 months time.

i have some queries regarding feeding the octopus. i know octopus are marine creatures and their diet consist mainly of crustaceans and molluscs. my question is is it ok to feed them freshwater crabs, freshwater hermit crabs, shrimps, crayfish, and shellfish like cockles, clams, mussels?

i do not mean every day but maybe once in a while, is it ok?

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
There appears to be only a minimal difference in the types of fats between fresh and saltwater invertebrates. Food quality frozen shrimp are usually available in most countries so we have only tried a few of the freshwater variety as regular food items.

That being said, we have had excellent success with fiddler crabs (brackish water animals). Crayfish are recommended more for occasional use rather than everyday consumption but there have been reports of excellent success using freshwater shrimp for young/small animals. I don't remember anyone anyone has trying freshwater clams/mussels and would limit these offerings.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
@DWhatley, I forget... what is proper / optimal cycle time for a tank? 6 months? Is there a minimum recommended?

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
oh... THOSE videos :smile: cool

Members online

No members online now.