• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

freshwater crayfish?

ccopelin

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
What are the ups and downs of feeding then to my octo? I live on a very clean creek and can grab them out by the dozens. This would really save me money, but i know they might not give the proper nutrition. Are they ok every once in a while? Whats the word?

The suggested use of cray/crawfish is as treats (or if you run out of food :biggrin2:). I order them every couple of months as a change for our octos and the octopuses love them. I started a thread to try to get a clearer picture of their nutritional value but had not succeeded in finding enough information to have a good picture.

IMO I would say since they are so easily available to you that giving them once a week would be ok. Considering some people here dont feed their octos every day if you feed them once or twice a week (days when they would normally be with out food) then that would be fine as they wouldnt be loosing any real nutrition considering you are still feeding other foods. I would say the best thing is to make sure they have variety. Crabs-hermits, fiddlers, blue crabs (if you have a larger octo) actually any crab (size applicable) along with shrimp and some crayfish would be a good diet.

I would not suggest feeding the octo crayfish exclusively as this is a foreign food source for them and the nutritional value is unknown.

Thanks guys! Mantle to crab body size whats a good size? I have a oriental market that has live blue crab near me. The 2 cuttles I have have the past few years took to frozen so that was easy. If i cant get this guy to he could be very expensive. I am trying to come up with options. My brother lives in marathon key and just sent me a hundred or so real large hermits. I am going to try giving a couple of those, a crayfish or 2 and a blue crab each weak.

I recently had excellent success feeding shelled hermits so if it does not take the hermits, you can remove them from the shell and offer them that way.

I try to keep to half the mantle size or smaller but a lot depends on the octopus. Monty won't take pieces of shrimp if he thinks they are too large. It took us awhile to realize that size mattered :roll:.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back