• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle Eggs came in...

I am glad I didnt dump the eggs when I first got them. Some of the ones I didnt think were viable actually could be... not all of them but at least 3 that I didnt think were are looking like they will hatch anyday. :fingerscrossed:

I just had the same experience. I ordered 200 from Paul, and they got here fine. Some were dead in the bag which is "typical" im guessing, i was at school all day and my father properly put them in the breeder tank after temp and conditions were similar. And i too come home to all 200 dead..... I am going to call them tomorrow and request something be done about this.. In my eyes something is wrong. That is alot of money to keep going through. I am willing and fully aware of the expenses of keeping them but to keep throwing money at mysids im winding up freezing, is a waste in my eyes.. Because i have 7 hatched now and they are avid hunters and are eating the live ones i put in there. I did freeze them and will try feedng them when it comes time to get them to accept frozen, but right now i really need live ones. Now i have to overnight others to be here Friday... Id rather not have the same incident.

I think I will call him too... I wasnt going to call to "complain" so to speak but this is strange.. the first 100 I ordered lived fine for like 2 weeks... I still have like 3 or 4 of them but this last batch they were all dead in like a few hours. I was wondering if I had done something wrong, but now that you have had the exact same experiance I am starting to wonder.

What is so strange is that they made it when ordered on Thursday and shipped Friday and were held and werent delivered till Monday they all (most of them anyway) lived... for a few hours. I dont know whats up with this.

Same here, the 1st time i ordered i just priority USPS shipped them because overnight is quite expensive... So i took the chances. And the 100 did great. But i didnt fair well with the 200 :frown:

I called Paul and though he didnt have enough mysids to cover the ones I lost he did give me the few he had free though I had to pay for over night shipping so they would get here by tomorrow. In the end it cost more now for 100 shrimp than it did for the 250.

I think I am going to try and order from a different company next time. Live Mysis / Mysid Feeder Shrimp

But I couldnt find anyone who had used them before.

Sorry to hear about your mysid problems. I wish everyone would post reviews in the new section. I am keeping my :fingerscrossed: for your next order to come alive. I had to overnight my fiddlers from Paul, still lost 3 but better than all.
(Check out my thread in "supporters" I am lonley)

Lmecher;170443 said:
Sorry to hear about your mysid problems. I wish everyone would post reviews in the new section. I am keeping my :fingerscrossed: for your next order to come alive. I had to overnight my fiddlers from Paul, still lost 3 but better than all.
(Check out my thread in "supporters" I am lonley)

The mysids are nothing comparatively. I have responded to your thread.

Same deal to me SK, he covered the ones that died but didnt have enough to ship tomorrow to cover all. Im getting 100 overnighted for tomorrow. I have 8 that are hunting and i feel so bad because i have none to give them:frown:

I looked at the new mysids source, and it seems like a good deal. Its a good deal cheaper than Paul for 500 mysids. 65 vs 80... no brainer there. I will try them with you Sk.

I can understand what youre feeling. I would feel like crap too.

The only other reason I considered switching sources is because I heard from another memeber that lab raised mysids are more adaptable to tank life. This last major loss kinda put it clearly in my face as to how and why thats important.

I dont know what happened to be honest and I will still order fiddlers from Paul for sure, its just I cant keep losing major amounts of mysids for the cost especially when he doesnt cover the full amount.

Yea i agree 100%, i found in my breeder tank about 3 mysids that were left behind from the 1st batch of 100 tonight :smile: that brightened things up alittle more. So i netted them out!!! LOL And i have my moon lights on. Idk about you but my cuttlefish hide in the nursery most of the day, under the algae i put in there for them dont seem too active right now bacause they are pretty small still.

Anyways on with the story... so they display alot of hunting behavior during the night as well as the daytime. I put 1 mysid in the nursery just about 5 mins ago and the mysid didnt have time to hit the bottom before out came a cuttle suspended from the algae and swam over to him. Extended his feeders and grabbed the 1st one right away and sat on the bottom and ate away :smile: :smile:!!!!! I was so excited! So i put the other 2 in which are alittle bigger than the 1st one, and again i watched three of the cuttles closest to them try to hunt them down... they are hungry :frown::frown:.. Hopefully the mysids will be here "ALIVE" Tomorrow and then the feast will begin that they have been waiting for about 2 days... Wish me luck. I have 8 little ones to feed

Mine arent eating now. I got my mysids and they all seem to be ok... for now. So i thought well before they all die i will try to feed a good portion since they went a couple days without. And they arent doing anything. Just hiding. So i shut my lights off and turned the moon lights on.

That sucks, I havent gotten mine yet. They wont be here till tonight which is pretty sucky for me. I hope they do ok cause I will have nothing to feed mine until tuesday if these dont live. Though I could try and find some pods if I have to... and well we all know those are to good for the first two weeks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back