• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle Eggs came in...

There is a light on the tank but it is far from bright. First it is 1 24 inch 50/50 powercompact bulb. Second it hasnt been changed in almost 2 years. Third they arent under the light just on the side of it. The light sits on half of the lid I had made for my octopus tank. The other half is opened.

I still have 11 eggs but of those 11 maybe 3 are viable. There is ONE baby from the other hatchlings still alive.(I had forgotten about him because he has been hiding since he hatched yesterday and I couldnt see him) I however have very little faith that these will make it.

Mine are right under my lights and stay a darker brown during the day and a white at night. Im suprised that the ones that hatched in transit are still alive for me. But like i said im worried about mine eating, because ive put some mysids in for them and they are still in with them. Ive put a total of about 5 in with them, and can still see 2 alive with them. Im confident the others found a way out of the nursery.

Oh no, Sabrina I am so sorry. :sad: They seemed so promising. It happens to all of us at one time or another. I know exactly how you feel. Don't get too discouraged, I felt the same way, in time you'll want to try again. I believe in both our cases we started out with animals that were not at the peak of health. I wish there was a reliable source for young healthy cephalopods, maybe some day.

I didn't mean that there was a problem with lights, only that cuttlefish will sometimes display a white coloration when under bright lights. As long as they have someplace to hide, they are fine with the lights on.

cuttlegirl;170208 said:
I didn't mean that there was a problem with lights, only that cuttlefish will sometimes display a white coloration when under bright lights. As long as they have someplace to hide, they are fine with the lights on.

Ah gotcha... I wasnt sure because I had seen the post about science thinking that lighting made cuttles go blind or rather it not making them go blind.

So 2 of the other cuttlefish have hatches at the moment. Its actually really sweet because they are both huddling next to the other egg that this cuttle was facing while it was still in its egg.

I want to have faith but I am low on that at the moment... keep your :fingerscrossed: for me.

Keep us posted on how the remaining little ones do, ill let you know about mine. I didnt have time to set up my own journal yet but i will if all fares well.

I will. I really hope these fair better than the others did. I am doing a water change today and adding my canister filter just to make sure there is A. enough flow and B. enough filtration. I shouldnt need it but who knows maybe there is something about my tank that isnt working out to well.

I now have 4 babies, I think they hatched because I was cleaning the breeder net and they bounced around a bit... hope thats not the case but it seems possible. I am just crossing my fingers that they will live longer this time.

I put the canister filter on the tank and did a small water change. I know my tank is running well so I doubt thats the problem, but its the least I could do to give the little guys a chance.

Ok so I went to check on the babies and about had a heart attack. Apparently one of the fiddlers was still in the tank and managed to find its way INTO my breeder net! All the babies were hiding and they all seemed ok. Thank God I checked on them!

Also I think I have another hatchling so that would make 5.

I dont know what happened but I got my shrimp from Paul and they were fine. 8 hours later they were (at least most of them) all dead. :sad: This makes the second order of mysids to be wasted. Now D needs to come up with a cuttlefish attacking my money.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back