• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle Eggs came in...

Paul is great for fildder crabs, and shore shrimp but I'd never order mysids from him (again).

Why? They are wild caught the grade of mysids he's starting with just don't come close to the ones grown in the lab. When you get them you should see 0 dead. Why? Any that die should be quickly consumed by the others. Mysids need to be fed everyday, twice a day is better, if you are shipping them 2 day you are asking them to eat each other.

http://www.reedmariculture.com/mysidshrimp/index.asp

I ordered mysids from reed many many times and never had a problem with any of the shipments. Time after time they looked like this

they are lab grade and used for studies of who knows what, so the quality is always good. They just happen to sell them for food as well.

Mine did eat them lol, but i will agree with corpusse. I ordered another 500 from paul to be here thursday of next week :frown:, and i might cancel the order. And order from either of these two sites suggested by sk, and corpusse.

I actually just called "reed" and the lady who handles the mysids, Kathy was already gone for the day, but i left my information and she is supposed to be contacting me on Monday.

Did you set up a regular delivery every week? I saw that was a option? Or did you just deliver when needed? Another question since you have had luck with Cuttles, The mysids i got in dead i froze right away. How long should i keep feeding live mysids until i try frozen regularly? And move on to bigger food? A month? Or does it depend more on size?

Cephdoc;170563 said:
Did you set up a regular delivery every week? I saw that was a option? Or did you just deliver when needed? Another question since you have had luck with Cuttles, The mysids i got in dead i froze right away. How long should i keep feeding live mysids until i try frozen regularly? And move on to bigger food? A month? Or does it depend more on size?

Here was corpusse suggestion for feedings...

corpusse;169825 said:
They never eat right away. 4-5 days seems normal. imo it's best to feed 1 mysid per cuttle. This way you can make sure each ate. I usually tried to keep about 6 per breeder net just to have an easier time keeping track of them. After a week or so increase to 2 per feeding, then 4-5 and once they are eating more then 5 per day it's time to move them to bigger food. The smaller shore shrimps are best. You're going to get big ones too if you order a couple hundred from Paul but you can use them later. They grow really fast once they're off mysids.

At this point I also try and get them to eat some PE mysis either at the same time as the shore shrimp or right before, helps cut down on costs a bit.

Good luck in the future, if you go through my old journals there's lots of pics and videos of them. If only there was a food source locally or even nationally for me I'd probably still be keeping them.

Cephdoc;170563 said:
How long should i keep feeding live mysids until i try frozen regularly? And move on to bigger food? A month? Or does it depend more on size?

You can try frozen mysids at any time, I had the most luck when the mysids still had eyes. You can just blow them (gently) around so that the cuttles think they are alive. You can also try other food (as long as it won't hurt the cuttles). They can take down prey bigger than themselves.

I tried some frozen, and they didnt seem interested :frown: I have a decent amount of current in the nursery to keep the mysids "moving". Some seemed to be interested some, but eventually lost interest. What about amphipods? Can they eat as many of those as they can the mysids, since they seem to be bigger and have alittle more substance to them?

Cephdoc;170573 said:
I tried some frozen, and they didnt seem interested :frown: I have a decent amount of current in the nursery to keep the mysids "moving". Some seemed to be interested some, but eventually lost interest. What about amphipods? Can they eat as many of those as they can the mysids, since they seem to be bigger and have alittle more substance to them?

Not right away. They are too big and tough. Once they are eating 2 mysids at a time they can probable handle them and their harder shells.

No I am afraid they arent. I checked on them today and the last of them had died. This is just awful. I am taking the tank down this week. I just can not believe that not one lived longer than 2 weeks. I was having trouble with nitrates so that probably had something to do with it.

Thank you Linda. It really brakes my heart. Ever since I changed the set up on the tank I have had nothing but problems from ammonia to nitrates and having to do water changes everyday to sudden deaths of animals that didnt make any since. So this tank is done. I dont think its a copper thing I think its the way its actually set up.... It just doenst work.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back