• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle egg adventure

10 cuttles now.
I watched 4 of them eat last night. They put on quite the show as they stalk the mysid by "walking" on their tentacles, then take their strike, then shoot back into their "cave" under the chaeto. Kinda funny.
Last night, I put one shore shrimp in with the mysid during feeding time, just to see what would happen. After about 10 minutes, one little cuttle was brave enough to strike at the shrimp that was twice its size. He missed under my watch, but this morning there was only the head in the net breeder. :biggrin2:

I saw an officianalis cuttlefish video tonight that brought a thought to mind about journaling cuttles in general. The thought was to put a note on your calendar at the first of each month and video 30 seconds at feeding time and then combine the feeding clips (possibly with stills in between) to have a complete growth record and fun while doing it.

That's an excellent idea! I will have to give that a go. I would imagine there would be HUGE contrast in an Officianalis video!

Still have 10 cuttles, most of them are eating about 4 to 5 mysid a day. I am hoping by the ending on this batch of 300 mysid that all of them will be big enough for shore shrimp.

Lilalancary- How many cuttles do you have now? Any of your cuttles on shore shrimp yet? How are they doing? How many mysid are you feeding a day?

Just found another hatchling hiding under the already hatched eggs. That gives me 11 cuttles and I think 1 mature egg left, which I can see the cuttle inside without any use of light (other than the light lighting the aquarium). I suspect that this egg will hatch tonight.

Congratulations on all of your success deepblue, i had lost 2 cuttles within 24 hours of one another, im placing another order for eggs tonight and will probably have them on tuesday if nyaquatics has any ion stock at time of order. Wish you the best with these! =]

lilalancarey;191688 said:
Congratulations on all of your success deepblue, i had lost 2 cuttles within 24 hours of one another, im placing another order for eggs tonight and will probably have them on tuesday if nyaquatics has any ion stock at time of order. Wish you the best with these! =]

Sorry to hear about your lost. Do you know why they died? That would be important information before ordering more.

One escaped my refuge i had for it because one of the holes that they could fit through i had too low and that must have been how he got out and the second one i have no clue, parameters are good, was well fed, maybe he was the one who was eating the pods more than the mysid and the one that got out was the one that would eat 2 mysids back to back if given the chance. Not sure since they were both taken from me so close together =/ Im not giving up though, if there is a supply i will demand. And i placed the order for 3 more last night and they will probably send more than three. Well im hoping for that bc the last time i ordered 6 and they gave you just as many as me and you ordered 3 the first time so i wouldnt wanna waste my money. We will see what happens. They are going to be Priority overnighted so i assume to have them by tuesday.

Wow! These little animals never stop eating! They each ate about 9-10 mysid yesterday! And because of this, I am reminded, the more it eats the more it poops. Lol. My sparkling clean net breeders that I cleaned yesterday are now filled with cuttle poop. What fun!
I got some cool pictures of the cuttles yeaterday, and a video of one eating. I'll upload those as soon as I have a chance. I watched every single cuttle yesterday, and I am happy to say, every single one is eating like a pig.
I have kind of a large age difference between them. My oldest is 14 days while my youngest is 2. So, yesterday when I took everyone out of the net breeders to clean, (thats when I got my cool video and pictures) I then seperated them in the clean net breeders by size. My 6 largest are in one, my 6 smallest are in the other.
This is getting very exciting! It makes me forget about all the money I'm dropping for the food :roll:

Pictures

Attachments

• conv_300141.jpg
    conv_300141.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 128
  • conv_300142.jpg
    conv_300142.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 150
  • conv_300143.jpg
    conv_300143.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 106

Nine different cuttles are in these pictures. They all seem to group together in pairs or trios. There is never a cuttle alone. Pretty cool.

Attachments

• conv_300144.jpg
    conv_300144.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 129
  • conv_300145.jpg
    conv_300145.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 143
DBW, because these are so successfully eating, would you take basic water chemistry readings and record them in the log? One thought is that PH may have a major impact but salinity and temp would be nice to have as well. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back