• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle egg adventure

Just a quick update, the cuttlefish are growing very quickly and eating well. They are huge! They still eat about 1-2 shore shrimp a day, but the size of the shore shrimp they are eating is gradually increasing.

How are you doing Lilalancarey? How are your new eggs?

My oldest cuttlefish is now about 1 inch long. Either today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow) I plan to move the cuttles to a large critter keeper. Ill post more pics of the babies, along with the new set-up, once it is complete.

Sorry it has been so long since my last post, I've been so busy with school starting this week. Well I finished the net set up. I bought a large size (the second largest available) kritter keeper from my LFS and slowly drilled it, and then attached a one inch bulk head. I then created an overflow by attaching an elbow PVC fitting to the bulk head, facing up, and then put some filter media (from a hang on back over flow box) on top. The kritter keeper is in my sump, sitting on top a acrylic "table". I added some black sand, along with lots of chateo. So far the cuttles love it! All 12 are in there, plenty or room, but not too much room.

Attachments

• conv_300178.jpg
    conv_300178.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 124
  • conv_300179.jpg
    conv_300179.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 170
  • conv_300180.jpg
    conv_300180.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • conv_300181.jpg
    conv_300181.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 122
DWhatley;192120 said:
It is interesting that they are staying white on the black background.

That was exactly my thinking. Sometimes they do display a kind of brown and gray checkered patern that resembles the sand and looks kinda cool. When they first started doing that, I thought that some of my cuttles had defective chromatophores. The spots seemed squared, like they could not control color changing in that part of their mantles, but then I realized they were just mimicking the multi-colored gravel.

Its been quite a while since my last update on the cuttles, I've been very busy with school. Right now, almost all my cuttles are nearly an inch and a half long, with one or two runts. In the mornings, right after lights ons, most of the cuttles take on a full white color, but by about mid-day, through lights out, about half resemble a very dark black, while the others are more of a marble white and brown.
I am working on trying to get them over to frozen PE Mysid shrimp, but it is proving very tiresome. I think weaning them on to frozen while they are still very young is the key. I have been trying several different methods to get them to eat the frozen, but to no avail. One day, I got five to eat a mysid each at one feeding, but all the other feedings there have only been one or two to take a mysid after 30 minutes of work.
I only plan on keeping 3 of the cuttles, the rest I plan to sell at the LFS that I work at. I have no problem (financially) keeping the cuttles on live food (as I catch my own) their entire life, but to sell the cuttles, they must be eating frozen and prepared foods.
I'll try to post more pictures and videos of the growing cuttles, time permitting, this week. If not, I'll get to it this weekend.

8 cuttles took frozen mysid this morning as I was running out the door. They all met me at the glass when I turned the lights on this morning, I wish I got a picture becuase it was pretty cool looking. Maybe tomorrow? Haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back