• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle egg adventure

Trying simply to logic out the question with very limited biology knowledge, I would think any egg reproducing species COULD have identical twins by way of a single egg splitting after being fertilized. I think this can even happen in plants. Fraternal, twins, where two eggs are fertilized by the same father is obviously the norm for at least part of a brood (in the case of cephs, likely not all of the brood if fertilization occurs in situ and the species is common to an area). Perhaps the interesting question would be could two separatelyy fertilized eggs be in one egg sack and I am thinking not but I don't know that anyone has ever investigated the thought.

Just had 2 more hatch!
Now that leaves me with 4 hatchlings (which I can no longer tell apart) and 8 viable eggs.
I feel very satisfied that I convinced myself to drive two hours to get more mysid from Paul this morning. :cool2:

DeepBlueWonders;191449 said:
Last night I grabbed a cool picture of him sitting on top of the eggs.
Here it is!

I'm not sure why the picture is sideways...

Attachments

• conv_300117.jpg
    conv_300117.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 127
Besides looking cool, that is great size perspective in the photo! I edited it and am reposting here to show it upright.

Attachments

• conv_300118.jpg
    conv_300118.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 89
DeepBlueWonders;191483 said:
Very interesting, and very true about watching paint dry!
I do believe my theory of "twins" is now far-fetched and no longer the case...but for information (and curiosity), is this possible to occur?

There have been twins with at least one species of Sepia. I am think the paper stalled though.

Congratz on the successful batch so far DB, and your eggs look really good!

I have two healthy cuttles right now, i finslly get to watch them eat now. Its so cool to put a mysis in there near them and watch the cuttle stalk it. They each have different personalities so far. One is very skittish and scared and inks if anything goes near it and the other is a badass in comparison and ill put the eye dropper i use to catch the mysid right next to it and throw the mysid very close to it so its immediately noticed.

So far so good, best luck ive had yet with cuttles =] I have to move in a month so hopefully an hour drive wont be too detrimental to the tank and to the cuttles. Now i just have to decide when to give away my clownfish, algae blenny, cleaner shrimp and frozen food eating mandarin. I wouldnt want to do it before the cuttles are ready to be moved to the display tank because what if they dont make it? Oh well, ill figure it out i guess.

The personalities you've noticed is awesome! I can't wait till I can watch mine eat like that, and find their own personalities.
I am expecting at least one more hatch tonight, let's see how good I am at judging the eggs now :wink:

Here is a teaser Thales posted to his StickyCricket site some time ago for all of you working on raising bandensis (something to help watching the paint dry :biggrin2:)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back