Caligula: My First Octopus - O. Briareus

I've had some interesting results feeding with the test tube. After success feeding Caligula grocery store shrimp with an open test tube, I've been trying to get him to learn to remove a stopper in the test tube. He gave up after about 5 seconds and hasn't since touched the test tube while it is closed.

Last night, I placed the closed test tube in the tank for about 10 minutes before removing the stopper. Almost immediately, Caligula came for the shrimp once the stopper was removed. I thought this might be because he saw the feeding claw so tonight I repeated it.

I placed the stopped test tube into the tank. Caligula clearly saw it and moved around the perimeter. He squirt water/kicked up sand in my general direction several times, I believe in frustration. I waited for two hours before finally removing the stopper. Within 15 seconds, Caligula retrieved his shrimp.

This experience leads me to believe Caligula (wrongly) believes that he cannot open the stopped test tube. He recognizes, though, that he is able to get to the food once I remove the stopper.

Very interesting! Now where do you go with this? Do you think you can SHOW him how to remove it? Maybe remove it half way? Maybe take an extra stopper and make him think you took it off by showing the stopper in your hand? Cut a hole in the stopper? Put a live crab in the test tube?

One thing that you can do is put a live crab in there then put a fiddler crab in there. Then you cut a tiny hole in the top so he can feel the crab but only touch it. I saw the same results when i tried the jar thing with my bimac, but then i did the hole and he eventually got it off.

Water quality has been an issue. Due to evaporation, the ph and specific gravity shot up to 8.44 and 1.027 respectively. Caligula became much less sluggish after I corrected the issue. (8.3 ph and 1.0255).

Today, Caligula was in an "open" den, different from his usual spot, during daytime such that I was able to see him, but I was unable to coax him into accepting a crab before work.

Test tube coments: D - I have been trying to show him how to remove the top, he sees me open it for him, but he just doesn't seem to understand yet... either that, or he has learned the human tends to give up and open it after a time.

bluespotocto - I think this would have worked had I done it the first time I put the test tube in there, but after feeling around the closed test tube one time, he will no longer go near it. One it is open, he rushes towards it. I may have to try a container he has yet to investigate.

Finally!!!

I was browsing some videos of 'Legs' on youtube and wondering why my octopus was so much less active. Then, I looked up to see Caligula on the front glass. This is the first time I have seen him entirely on the front glass since acclimation. He gave me a good show for an hour, walking all around the sides of the tank. He even let me touch one of his tentacles while near the top of the tank.

Changes which may have helped cause this change in behavior:

1. I didn't feed him or watch him for a couple of nights.
2. Two of the three damsels are gone
3. It has been one month since I put him in the tank.

Briareus seem to need a full month before they start coming out in the early evening. I am still not quite sure if this has to do with acclimation time or age/size. You should start seeing more and more of Caligula over the next month or so and then daily.

I have seen quite a bit of Caligula lately. I hope it continues.

in other news....

DISASTER STRUCK!

My heater literally exploded today. It was a via aqua in case anybody is curious. Water leaked into it somehow (no idea), and it sparked several times before breaking completely in half. Luckily, my sump is out in the open and I was watching the tank at the time.

I shut off the power immediately and changed all of the water in the sump. I'm sure copper is contained in at least some of the internal components of the heater.

...and pictures!!!

Can you tell anything about sex from the picture of him on the glass? I know it isn't great, but it is the best one I was able to get.

Attachments

• conv_294992.jpg
    conv_294992.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 110
  • conv_294993.jpg
    conv_294993.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 105
  • conv_294994.jpg
    conv_294994.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 95
I don't like using heaters but KaySoh's tank has to have one in the winter. I am still using the glass kind and have been putting off getting the titanium. I think I will start looking for a sale on one before we have to use it.

Electrical components worry me any more. I walked by our Nano Cube a month or so ago and made a mental note that there should NOT be light behind the tank. When the thought reached the thinking part of my brain (slow motion 'cause it was not long), I dashed for the power switch. The white light was an electrical fire going up the power cord to the PC's. I have never liked that hood and it has given us endless problems so, in spite of it not being a good time to do so, we replaced it with a clear glass flat top and a raised light fixture that Neal found a great deal on (2 actinic and a small MH).

Going only by hints in the pictures my first impression is male but the evidence is shakey. Looking at the TL photo, he is holding the third arm to the right (looking at the photo it would be the third arm counting counter clockwise from the center - fourth arm pointing counter clockwise) curled higher than the other arms. Several suckers look large but that could be just their adhesion to the glass. You should see him holding that arm obviously more tightly curled than the others at most times and rarely using it for anything. I created a post with examples of three different male octos to try to help identify the arm traits here.

I just watched the video a couple of time and in the very beginning (before he goes to the wall) if you watch very carefully, the arm that is not visible most of the film is the third right because it is curled up. It looks like the fourth right is in the process of growing back from a close to the web amputation. I guestimate that regrowth is about an inch a month but there is no science or even decent recording behind the SWAG.

I've been meaning to post for quite awhile buy just haven't had the time.

Caligula is doing very well. He comes out to play each night for a couple of hours and is much less afraid of me than when I first placed him in the tank. I think I feed him too much though since he will only come out in almost complete darkness. The less I feed him, the less averse to light he becomes (or the more apt he is to go out looking for food).

Changes: I traded my live rock for some large pieces of texas holey rock. I was unsure of their history, but Caligula is as active as ever. The new pieces have been in the tank for about 3 weeks.

of note: bristleworms are incredibly helpful. Caligula's new den is in a place that I can't really get to so some of the crab carcasses stay in the tank. I have several bristleworms that have grown quite large.

Several days ago, I got into a bit of a tugging match with Caligula when he latched onto the claw I use to feed him. I didn't think much of it at the time, but Caligula, who used to go right for the claw, will no longer do so. He understands that he is being fed and comes close to the claw, but the last two times I've fed him, he has waited until I drop the shrimp before grabbing onto it.

I fear he may be showing signs of senility as he doesn't pounce on the fiddlers quite like he used to. He is also less interested in food than he once was.

It has been quite some time since I last posted. Caligula is doing well. He is now approximately 30 inches from tip to tip, maybe longer. He has become steadily less afraid of light, and I often see tentacles during the morning ~ before 11:00am. Occasionally, he will make a visit during the day, but these visits are still rare.

4279766810_83592a0f3c.jpg

4279022865_997a4d022d.jpg

Caligula has become increasingly disappointed with frozen food. I have had to stock the tank with damsels and snails. Here is a video of Caligula throwing a tantrum after rejecting a jumbo frozen shrimp (not the usual).

Caligula curious about the damsel

I'm a big strong octopus, and this is my rock

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back