• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

bought me a 75 two days ago , going to be getting it set up soon

With the advent of LR the use of other long term bio media is really obsolete and its potential for becoming a nitrate factory over runs any additional biologic filtering you may achieve. This is why I run a ton of carbon only in this filter (the 4' tank had a 3' LR wall for bio filtering). If you simply must put something else in all those great compartments, think more about phosphate removal or some of the nitrate reducing media.

I will tell Neal you took his side on the "sand" vs no bottom substrate discussion :wink: but consider using crushed argonite and a very thin layer. Of all the bottom substrates I have tried, I like it the best. It looks like sand and helps with PH buffering.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back