bought me a 75 two days ago , going to be getting it set up soon

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by marinerules, Jul 30, 2009.

1. marinerules

marinerules Wonderpus Registered

I have had bimacs in the past, its been awhile since ive visted the forums or posted

I am wanting a briareus octopus

I still have to build my stand, I thought about purchasing one, but decided I could save some money just building one myself.

I currently got in some artificial natures image corals, they are so DETAILED< i got in the large 14 inch tall pillar coral,

very pretty

I believe one of my videos of dr octavious is stilla round here somewhere

I hope when the time is right in the future that im even able to get an octopus

I am wanting the species briareus , but it seems like they are getting harder and harder to come by

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome back!

You were right to get a 75 gallon tank rather than a smaller one.

It's not so easy to get any octopus species right now, but not impossible, either. You might look under Journals and Photos for accounts of keeping briareus.

Nancy

3. marinerules

hey

hey nancy , good to hear from ya , I hope ya remember me lol

im goiing to set this tank up right lol

take my time.

most people dont like artificial corla , but this last piece looks amazing, when i get my camera back ill take some pictures of it .

ill look more into the care of a briareus like you suggested

ive been looking at kalypso's videos, they are amazing, good video of the octopus really stretching aroundn and walking

4. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Toms Caribbean has that species in stock every now and then. Also i think live aquaria might have on. Its says its from the caribbean so it might be the right kind.

5. marinerules

well hopefull

well hopefully it will stay that way cause it will be awhile before I am actually able to purchase one as i dont even have water in my tank yet

6. marinerules

oh what do you guys reccoment for filtration on a 75 gallon I dont have a sump

ive heard canister filters can be good or bad

7. marinerules

I got the tanks frame done today , its tall 30 inches,

I might even have saltwater in it by saturday night

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I am hoping for water in the 60 as well :grin:

9. marinerules

I really wish I had my camera, I really like this Natures Image Large Artificial coral I got, its realistic , and I usually dont like fake corals

10. DWhatley

Try to remember to say how it does after six months. Before commiting to saltwater, I spent a ton of money over a period of year trying to make my FW aquarium LOOK like SW. The last artificial corals I had in the tank looked terrific ... initially. Carol has some in her tank though that are years old and look good in photos so maybe these will do better than the one I tried. It would be nice for an octo tank or as hard corals for a softy reef if these work out.

11. marinerules

oh no ive had saltwater aquariums before, I have a 240 at my parents house that has a naso tang, yellow tang, cleaner shrimp, niger trigger, snowflake eel

ive had octopus before to ,

or is that not waht you meant lol

Im wanting to do mainly just live rock for my octo tank , a few fake croals, maybe a few real softied, and some caulerap , maybe the feather kind , I really like the looks of it in the video of the octopus named kalypso

12. DWhatley

No, what I meant was let us know how the fake corals look after 6 months. My really real looking, expensive huge piece of staghorn (placed at the bottom of a 4 foot tank) looked like what a piece of bleached staghorn looks like in after 6-8 months, brown, dirty and impossible to clean. I finally gave up on trying to create a saltwater aquarium look with fresh water and converted the tank to salt ... then bought another ... and another ... I still have one fw tank for one remaining silver dollar. Poor old Ike will probably out live me.

AM has warned anyone (including me) noticing how nice that macro algae look not to put it in a main display, it trys to take over everything.

13. marinerules

i woulndt mind it growing everywhere, but if there is a problem with it going sexual , I wou.lndt want that, because doesnt that make the tank dirty and cloudy ?

ive had some smaller corals from natures image, in the 240 for about 2 months, so far no algae build up,

but I could see someone having problems if they had lots of agae to grow , for me, I have never had heavy amounts of coralline algae, I wish I did , its so prety on rocks

14. DWhatley

If you really want coraline algae, buy one rock that is heavily covered and leave it in your tank for 6 months. My problem is keeping it off the acrylic. I throw in pin cushion urchin between octos just to see the rock for the purple algae. Look at the 6 month difference between post 6 and 8 here.

15. marinerules

how often do you do water changes ???

I think I dotn have coraline well becaus I dont do water changes often enough on my 240 at my parents hosue

I change out 25 gallons about every 4 weeks lol

maybe I should add supplement chemicals, such as iodide

16. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

I change my water out every 2 weeks and i change 5 gallons out of my 40 gallons.(20%) i think thats 20%):lol:

17. Tommycs

Tommycs Wonderpus Supporter

It's 12.5% (hey we can't all be good at everything. :wink: )

18. DWhatley

I change 5 gallons each week on all my tanks (8 tanks from 8 - 140 gallons. I feel the small tanks need a higher % and the larger ones less but bio-load also plays a part and this has worked well for me). I do add a small amount of iodine every month to some of the tanks but not the octo tank. Do you have urchins in your parents tank? Many urchins will eat the coraline algae (the pin cushions are the most voratious and I use them to reduce the coraline in the pictured tank - sans octo as I mentioned). It does seem that a starter rock encourages rapid growth and you might buy a grapefruit sized one and place it in individual tanks for a six month culture.

I am not sure what that equates to over a month. It is 12.5% every two weeks but since the water is mixed with the existing water before the next 12.5% change I would not know how to guestimate the actual monthly percentage. It would be less than the sum of 25% but how you would go about determining a fudge factor I am not sure. Using the 20% rule for heavy bio loads and 10% for a reef without fish is just a rule of thumb. Testing your water and adjusting over time is a better long term maintenance consideration.

19. marinerules

Im looking at option of having a sump without drilling my tank, cause I would just die if I had it driled and someone cracked it,

would something like this work

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

he claims it works even in power outages?

20. DWhatley

I won't say it won't work well as I keep hoping someone will design something that will but our first couple of years experimenting with siphon overflows convinced us that drilling was the way to go.

The power outage statement simply means there is no pump and that it will hold siphon (not allow air into the tube) or "self start" if the siphon breaks when the return pump is turned off.