"Yo quiero TAKO" - Cephs in anime, and worldwide

Another animated squid!

On the cartoon network show "Family Guy" they had a scene where there's a rather annoyed looking giant squid in the kitchen. Peter (the husband) suggests ignoring a problem the way they ignore the squid.

Sushi and Sake,

John

theres apparently a british band out there that has a ceph in their video.... the first time i saw it, i thought it was some old 80s video, but apparently not... the band is called the darkness and in "i believe in a thing called love" features a big space squid attacking a spaceship and being fought off with lightning coming from the band's instruments.... :shock:

very odd....

WhiteKiboko: I've seen it - its a bit like a space octopus thingy.

Anyway I was looking for something else and stumbled across this - scroll down to Red Fang - magazine cover attached. I believe it was a species of super intelligent squid (like the Krakens in 'The Engines of Light' series):

2000 AD: Titles P - R

Emps

WhiteKiboko said:
just saw the preview for this spring's Hellboy... a large tentacle type thing grabs ron perlman...

WK,

Huzzah. What movie was the trailer attached to?

"Hellboy" is based on the superb series of comics created by Mike Mignola, and published by Dark Horse comics. Monster cephs and cousins to Cthulhu make regular appearances in the comics. In "Squid of Man," a one-shot co-authored with Bill Wray, Mignola introduced Squidman, a humanoid teuthid created by one Dr. Plankton Tidepool, Rogue Ichthyologist. Sadly, Squidman turned out to be sexually incompatible with his ersatz mate, Lobsterwoman.

:goofysca:

Clem

Hey Emps, that looks kickin'! I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

BTW, last month I went to an anime festival where they showed the first episode of a series called ANGELIC LAYER. In one comic scene, a scientist threatens his annoying assistant with punishment by "ten minutes with an Octopus in your pants". He then whips out a small Octo (which he just happens to have on hand) and.... well, stuffs it in the guy's pants. The next few scenes are accompanied by the assistant writhing around in the background, presumably trying to rid himself of the unwanted "fashion accessory". Strange stuff.

Tani

TaningiaDanae said:
In one comic scene, a scientist threatens his annoying assistant with punishment by "ten minutes with an Octopus in your pants."
Taningia,

:roflmao:

The more I hear about that sort of thing, and see the related imagery in anime and art, the more I wonder: did someone in Japan do something like that, once?

Clem

Clem said:
The more I hear about that sort of thing, and see the related imagery in anime and art, the more I wonder: did someone in Japan do something like that, once?

Hey, ya never can tell -- remember, we are talking about a culture in which Tentacle Hentai is a major subgenre. [Refer to our discussion on the "Mucho Bizarreness" thread in the Members' Forum]

Ink-identally, along the same lines, there was another very funny reference in a Japanese live-action episode of SAILOR MOON (yes, they really produced them) shown at the same anime festival, but.... uh.... I can't exactly repeat it on this thread. Maybe later I'll post it to that "Mucho Bizarreness" thread so all of us over-18 types can get into an in-depth discussion of its profound psycho-cultural implications. Or at least have a good story to e-mail our weirdo netpals.

:heee:
Burukuren no Ta Ninja

Well just saw a later episode of Rune Solder Louie a fun but rather genric anime fantasy series. In one of the later episodes the main character gets turned into a squidman for a good chunk of the episode and can't do anything but run around screaming "Ika!" it was kind of surreal.

TaningiaDanae said:
Maybe later I'll post it to that "Mucho Bizarreness" thread so all of us over-18 types can get into an in-depth discussion of its profound psycho-cultural implications.

no such luck.... TONMO is completely all ages... :|

WhiteKiboko said:
TaningiaDanae said:
Maybe later I'll post it to that "Mucho Bizarreness" thread so all of us over-18 types can get into an in-depth discussion of its profound psycho-cultural implications.

no such luck.... TONMO is completely all ages... :|

Huh?? If you look, you will see that the "Mucho Bizarreness" thread was essentially a discussion of Tentacle Hentai and its origins in early Japanese culture. Nobody bothered to censor it, and I certainly hope that policy will continue because as I recall the Supporters' Forum was only for 18 and over. As long as the discussion is intelligent, mature, and relevant to our spectrum of topics, I see no reason why the discussion cannot continue.

As for the quote I referred to, it contains no obscenity and the only reason I'm not posting it here is that the topic of Tentacle Hentai is one which I feel should remain on an over-18 forum. So I will post it to the aforementioned thread, and let the Supporters Forum members be the judge.

That's fair, isn't it?

Tani

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back