"Yo quiero TAKO" - Cephs in anime, and worldwide

Clem,

WOW!! Thank you! I was five when "Alien" was released in theatres, and even though I wasn't allowed to see it, I saw this two foot high Alien action figure that scared the hell outta me. For six years these creatures dominated my nightmares until my borther took me to see the sequel "Aliens" in 1986. That got rid of my fear, and to this day those creatures are my favorite horror movie monsters, and the only movie creatures to ever scare me. So any background on them is much appreciated.

Facehuggers and Xenomorphs,

John

I remember the whip/tentacle like appendages in the second, but dont recall them in the first... as soon as i get home (next day or two) ill have to watch the three together to compare [i try my best to ignore the existance of the fourth, much like Rocky V], since i think i vaguely recall that they made modifications between movies....

The things in the back are hard... they are not tenticles. They are horns or things that are used to stick to walls/help camoflage.

here is a pic of the origonal face hugger
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~DBJacobson/facehugger.jpg

Here is a link to the script
Alien script by Walter Hill and David Giler

::edit::
They don't have tentacles in the final draft, they just have very prehensile tails. But in the first draft it had tenticles with claws at the end, this was before Geiger drew up the design.

Hello MuscaDomestica,

Thank you for posting the link to that ol' Facehugger concept. Credit for that drawing goes to Mr. Ron Cobb, who was responsible for designing the humans' spacecraft in "Alien," the Nostromo. Cobb also played a major role in shaping the look of "Star Wars," and designed the Nazis' flying wing in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Clem

Clem said:
and designed the Nazis' flying wing in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

i had always heard that the Yb-49 was ripped off from a German wwii bomber design circa 44/45....since the movies were set pre-war, wouldnt it just be a natural step to simply make them propeller driven? of course this is off topic.... as for the aliens, i could swear i remember some type of thing whipping around behind them as they detached, unless it was just the tail..... what about the design of the Queen in the second, any tentacular appendages there?

WhiteKiboko said:
i had always heard that the Yb-49 was ripped off from a German wwii bomber design circa 44/45....since the movies were set pre-war, wouldnt it just be a natural step to simply make them propeller driven?

As a bit of non-ceph trivia, the German Horten brothers designed a whole series of flying wings most of which were propeller driven. They culminated in the jet-powered Horten IX which crashed on its maiden flight sometime early in 1945. Lippisch also designed plenty of flying wings though I can't remember if any were actually built or not. I don't think the Raiders flying wing was based on any specific design but a German-looking amalgam of designs; there certainly were none in operational service before or during the war.

Ceph.

Horten is the design of whose name i couldnt come up with.... thanks and yes, none were made.....

Squid octo tank octopus first :smile:

Phil said:
Lippisch also designed plenty of flying wings though I can't remember if any were actually built or not.
:nofeet:

Phil,

The closest Lippisch came to fielding a practical wing was the DM-1 glider, a delta plan-form that was the progenitor for a planned series of coal-fueled ramjet interceptors. The DM-1 behaved very well during tow-tests. Technically, it was not a true flying-wing because it incorporated a massive vertical stabilizer and rudder.

To view Dr. Lippisch demonstrating the handling characteristics of the DM-1, CLICK HERE.

:wink:

Clem

LOL! Thanks Clem!

I wonder if he really looked like that?

:thumbsup:

Phil said:
I wonder if he really looked like that?
Phil,

Dr. Lippisch? No. But have you ever taken a close look at Reimar Horten?

download.php

No wonder the Germans were so far ahead of the Allies in technology.... they learned to harnass the power of the pre-eminent ceph brains of the world....

There's a show called Sealab 2021 and in one episode "Happy Cake" an Squid plays a significant role.... it was rather protective of a Happy Cake Oven (Easy Bake knock off)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back