Who can Identify?

so I had a slow leak in my tank and had to switch everything to new one. During this my octopus came out of his rock he has been hibernating in and I got a good look at him for first time in few weeks. Can anyone tell if this is a dwarf? He isn’t supposed to be but I got him online so??? It’s from Indo-pacific and was hoping it was a cyanea but I thought he would be bigger by now. I have had him for two months and he was about 1-2 inches when I got him. I thought they grew much quicker but this is my first one. Thanks!

I added the video by clicking the "insert video" button as show below, when editing your post. Do you not see that option?

1571256634888.png

Upvote 0
I was able to confirm that this works. I hope this helps!

As for the ID, I hope one of our experts can help. If you can get a closer still photo, that would likely help -- but I suspect this might be enough to start.

Lastly, I'm moving this thread to the ID Requests thread. Thanks for posting, and good luck with identification!

Upvote 0
Th
I was able to confirm that this works. I hope this helps!

As for the ID, I hope one of our experts can help. If you can get a closer still photo, that would likely help -- but I suspect this might be enough to start.

Lastly, I'm moving this thread to the ID Requests thread. Thanks for posting, and good luck with identification!
thank you

Upvote 0
Sadly, there is not enough clarity to tell species. Which supplier furnished him (links are accepted when not being used as an unpaid commercial)? I only know of one supplier of cyanea (tank raised and species known) and we have never had one to be shipped by anyone else.

There IS enough clarity to say it is a sexually mature male.

Upvote 0
Sadly, there is not enough clarity to tell species. Which supplier furnished him (links are accepted when not being used as an unpaid commercial)? I only know of one supplier of cyanea (tank raised and species known) and we have never had one to be shipped by anyone else.

There IS enough clarity to say it is a sexually mature male.
He is from fishy business aquatics in California. It was labeled octopus sp from Indo-pacific. You think he’s already mature even though he has doubled in size in under two months? This is pic a week or so after getting him. Don’t know if it helps. I put him back in my 125 gallon so unfortunately He hides from camera and everything else still. I appreciate the help

Upvote 0
They mature pretty early. For the two warm water species I have kept from hatchlings, my guess is sexual maturity in males happens at around 5 months (there are no known outward signs of sexual maturity in females). Doubling in size would definitely suggest he is young with the possibility that he start to come out more now but give no hint as to species (or ultimate size).

Upvote 0
They mature pretty early. For the two warm water species I have kept from hatchlings, my guess is sexual maturity in males happens at around 5 months (there are no known outward signs of sexual maturity in females). Doubling in size would definitely suggest he is young with the possibility that he start to come out more now but give no hint as to species (or ultimate size).
Ok. Thank you sir. When the time comes when I can take a picture I’ll definitely make sure to take up more of your time. Take care

Upvote 0
Please consider journaling your experience! We love reading ceph adventures and the journals are very helpful to new keepers. I am always happy to try to help but ID's are tricky even for the scientists.

Upvote 0
Please consider journaling your experience! We love reading ceph adventures and the journals are very helpful to new keepers. I am always happy to try to help but ID's are tricky even for the scientists.
I understand and I definitely will. I def enjoy him already and I haven’t even seen him much yet. I guess these pics don’t help? Only couple weeks after I got him. If the pics don’t load then just ignore. I don’t know why my phone won’t load them sometime. Thank you again
2A0D597A-B503-4A76-8477-5303C2B67E53.png
3BD86615-E415-4207-AFF3-A108A9F7A5A7.png
36556734-F830-45F1-8042-632623AF3DC9.png

Upvote 0
From the advertised photo (which may be representative vs actual), and from tentative ids of other animals that have shown up over the last year, I'll give a hesitant guess of O. bocki.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back