What did I buy?

Discussion in 'ID Requests' started by Christopher, May 29, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Cuttlefish Registered

I made an impulse buy on divers den and just acclimated him today. No idea what he is but he's pretty cool. Already seen some neat camo tricks.

For now all I've got is the liveaquaria photo. He also seems to have little horn looking things over his eyes.

I really want to know if he is nocturnal. So far both octos I've had have been. Not fun to only watch them under a red light.

Attached Files:

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

No ideas from the photo. Do you have the original link? Do you know its originating ocean? Do you see any eye spots (ocelli)?

3. Christopher

4. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

It looks like a small Abdopus. It reminds me of abaculus, but it could be aculeatus or undescribed.

Roy

DWhatley likes this.
  5. Christopher

Sadly the daylight LEDs recently broke on my fixture so I'm limited to blue and red currently. These are the best pics I could get without blinding him with a flash. The first one hes doing his spiny camouflage trick he's so fond of

Attached Files:

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I knew these the LA picture looked familiar! Roy has an amazing photo posted (and donated a poster of this picture as a raffle item for TONMOcon IV in Washington, DC) showing a series of looks for the abaculus. Check out the link!

7. Christopher

This little guy is pretty awesome. I can't tell you how many times I've looked over every inch of the tank for him only to later realized he was on a rock right in front of me the whole time.

My first two octos were nocturnal and rather boring. Don't get me wrong they were cool but they'd stay hidden in the rocks 22 hours a day. And when they came out and I fed them they would immediately go back into the rocks. One I got from the liveaquaria stock and the other was from the divers den. They turnd out to be the same species. Of course I paid twice as much for the divers den one.

Anyway it's exciting to have an octopus that is out and about all the time.
    Tomorrow I receive my new light fixture so ill finally have some daylight to get some good pics.

DWhatley likes this.