• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

Paradox;102862 said:
On another note, are you aware of the Fresh water mysids that are in Lake merrit, where you can get buckets of them at the right season? A BAR member just told me about them. Have you thought about that as a potential food source?

Who? What? Season? When? Link?

Thales, Ive had a clutch of eggs for a while and a couple have hatched although it seems it occurred prematurely due to damage to the egg. I do not see any yolk sacks attached, but Im having difficulty encouraging feeding. They have mysids and pods available to them but I have yet to see them eat. Is there anything you can do to aid in encouraging them to eat or do you think they may have some yolk left that Im not able to observe?

One was hatched sunday so 4-5 days now and the other hatched yesterday. Both of these though I believe hatched prematurely due to thier eggs being damaged. Actually I thought they were duds, since when received, tose 2 eggs were semi deflated. They are reactive, show color changing and look like typical hatchlings.

It is possible that they have eaten when I was not watching, but there are some mysids that have been in there since yesterday. Prior to my mysids arriving, I have had tigger pods, and larger short caught pods in with them. Although the tigger pods were so small, they could have been filtered away.

-Just looked in there and saw a 3rd hatchling so its probably about time for this clutch of eggs. Very strange though, because I still see the same number of inflated eggs. The 3rd hatchling must have slipped out of his egg very carefully. =)

Good! They usually won't eat for the first 3-5 days, so you may be just fine. I don't know a way to compel them to eat. You and I should trade hatchlings to make sure we are crossing lines. :biggrin2:

Thales;103338 said:
Good! They usually won't eat for the first 3-5 days, so you may be just fine. I don't know a way to compel them to eat. You and I should trade hatchlings to make sure we are crossing lines. :biggrin2:

I think every time I start from a clutch of eggs I go through the same 'worry' period :smile: Ever since the one source of eggs a couple years back where the babies were strangely cannibolistic, Im afraid this will occur if they do not eat.

One reason for why i chose to go for wild caught eggs was to allow for some genetic variation in case we wanted to attempt breeding between ours. So, trading would be great once we get them to a stable age. :baby:

dwhatley;103347 said:
Uhummm, If I remember correctly, a cuddle is on the way. Surely you don't want to worry with cuttles at this point!

:baby: Yeah, I know, just wishful thinking... they are soo cute when they are little, and they won't wake me up in the middle of the night wanting food...

Hopefully This time, there will be a next generation and many eggs to spread around.

Cuttlegirl-I believe I owe you some eggs! and congrats to your own hatchling on the way!

I have hatched a few, but am having problems with viability. Jennifer, do you know how many of the eggs you sent out actually hatched?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back