• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

I wouldn't go lower than $60 for the cuttles, and a little less for the eggs. I would still buy the same amount if they were cheaper or more expensive, although of course I would like them to be cheaper, but you need to make something too.

Paradox,
I did a REALLY dumb (and expensive at a not so good time) thing last week. I am hoping not too many read this post :oops: but I will share what I may have discovered. I thought Paul had a really good price on shore shrimp (he normally has to charge about twice what Mike charges at Mariculturetechnologies but their collection and facilities are entirely different, not their narrow profit margin) so I ordered $1,000 (I normally get 500 at a time). I knew something was very wrong when the box showed up :cyclops:, it was WAY too small. I was in too much of a hurry and ordered 1,000 mysis (the shore shrimp were far more expensive even at that quantity). I do not have any cuttles and my seahorse tank overflow eats the mysis faster than my lone seahorse. The pipefish and Mandarins find them a nice evening snack but it was an expensive mistake. I stuck half in my 3 gallon hospital tank with an air stone and just fed out the other half. I threw my favorite frozen food in with the unfed group and to my surprise, I still have a healthy population. I am going to feed out a minimum just to see if the Cyclop-eeze will sustain them and keep them well enough fed to not eat each other (I have had the same experience as Jennifer with one for the fish and two for the other Mysis).

If I forget (in which case it was probably a failed experiment) remind me to report if there are still an uncountable number in the tank in a week.

Paradox;102412 said:
Rich - What type of pods were you feeding the mysids? Can we feed them the shore caught ones? Or were they the smaller tigger pods? Any luck with feeding them frozen or dried foods?

Mysis will readily take frozen or dried foods. I feed mine cyclop-eeze. I feed shore shrimp the same.

I don't know what I pm'd you! :biggrin2:

DHyslop;102468 said:
!!!

That makes me feel a lot better about the new TV, suit, speakers and ballast I just bought!

Ok, I understand the TV, suit, and speakers part, because everyone gets an urge for CSPAN karaoke every now and then, but why do you need ballast? So your balloon doesn't get to high? So your boat doesn't tip over? So your fluorescent lights work right?

!!! dwhatley - wow really sorry to hear that! Maybe its an opportunity to try to learn how to breed these little guys?

Thales - Sorry about all the questions but can you describe a little about the size and method of the container you are using to house the mysids? My baby cuttle chamber is probably 4 gallons or so, dividable into two chambers. The divider is pretty well sealed where the only thing that can pass through it must be smaller then the holes of a window screen mesh. Im wondering if I can just use one side of this to keep the mysids since its plumbed into my system already.

Hey guys,

A mistake was made with the first batch of eggs. But there are more batches being laid every week. I will post when I have babies available...hopefully soon... but I want to get some numbers about incubation times and possibly about number laid or viable vs non viable eggs first. :biggrin2:

Paradox;102479 said:
Thales - Sorry about all the questions but can you describe a little about the size and method of the container you are using to house the mysids? My baby cuttle chamber is probably 4 gallons or so, dividable into two chambers. The divider is pretty well sealed where the only thing that can pass through it must be smaller then the holes of a window screen mesh. Im wondering if I can just use one side of this to keep the mysids since its plumbed into my system already.

Is the divider opaque? I think if it wasn't, seeing all that food but not being able to get it would be frustrating/confusing. My last mysid container was a 2 gallon styro with an overflow pipe stuck and glued in the side up high. In the styro the overflow pipe had some filter foam zip tied over it. The styro was fed by a very small powerhead and it drained into the main tank. In the new system I plumbed in a food tank, which is really a 8 gallon garbage can. Foam on the overflow pipe and it drains into the sump with the same small powerhead feeding it. I get to use it for mysids, later for shore shrimp, and for starfish all the time for the harlequins.
Bait shrimp go in a separate system outside the house. Though I am learning how to wean them to frozen. :biggrin2:

Thales;102841 said:
Is the divider opaque? I think if it wasn't, seeing all that food but not being able to get it would be frustrating/confusing.

Hanlon & Messenger point out (p. 145) the interesting result that hatchling cuttles (officinalis is implied, but it doesn't say specifically) can't learn to stop attacking prey that's behind a glass barrier. I thought that was interesting because it suggests that the brain develops some learning ability as the animal matures, but I guess there are practical applications as well...

shipposhack;102860 said:
Isn't gestation 2 weeks? Do you expect to have eggs or babies available toward the end of the month?

No, the gestation is not two weeks. The eggs that were laid 3 weeks ago did were not ready to hatch at the time of the accident. We only have gustimates as to how long they take to hatch. I hope to have hatchlings available within the next month. I hope.

Thales;102841 said:
Hey guy

Is the divider opaque? I think if it wasn't, seeing all that food but not being able to get it would be frustrating/confusing.

The divider is black acrylic. However, there are three 1.5 inch holes covered with black window screen material on this acrylic. I guess you can see through this part, but not easily. I do recall my old setup where I once used a divided clear acrylic section and the juveniles did in fact constantly attempt to strike at the shrimp.

I guess its time to plumb a new section in!

On another note, are you aware of the Fresh water mysids that are in Lake merrit, where you can get buckets of them at the right season? A BAR member just told me about them. Have you thought about that as a potential food source?

Ah, I just found a heathy hatchling - life cycle officially closed (again). So, another guesstimate of maturing time for the eggs - 3 weeks. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back