water change question

DrBatty

GPO
Supporter
#1
I've got about 10 gallons of saltwater sitting in a couple containers right now...they're been there for about a week. I haven't had a need to use them, so they've just sort of been sitting there. I buy my saltwater at my LFS....I do not have an RO system at home yet, although I am considering!
Anyway, I've been told that once you get the water, you should use it within the first couple days, otherwise it goes "bad". I fail to see how this is possible, but I'm no chemist and I'm not gonna take any chances.
Are there opinions on this? Is it possible for saltwater to go bad after a few days?
 

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
#2
I agree with you, I can't see how it would go bad - as long as is isn't directly from the ocean. If it is a mix and it is inert in powder form, how can RO water change that to make it unstable. If it is from a live source that has living plants or organisms it would definitely go bad.

This is my guess, please anyone else with more knowledge chime in. I do know that it is beneficial to add airstones or powerheads to saltwater when mixing to get it properly aged, but that isnt the same thing.
 

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
#3
Illithid;81051 said:
I agree with you, I can't see how it would go bad - as long as is isn't directly from the ocean. If it is a mix and it is inert in powder form, how can RO water change that to make it unstable. If it is from a live source that has living plants or organisms it would definitely go bad.

This is my guess, please anyone else with more knowledge chime in. I do know that it is beneficial to add airstones or powerheads to saltwater when mixing to get it properly aged, but that isnt the same thing.
First, I have no idea what the answer is in practice (although I seem to remember someone saying they kept buckets of water around in case of urgent water changes).

However, there are plenty of things that in dry form are not good places for pathogens to grow, but once you add water, they're prone to rot, mold, and whatnot. Sugar comes to mind, as does dried fruit and agar. It seems like sterile salt water wouldn't have any of these things anyway, but "inert in powder form" doesn't seem like it guarantees anything.
 

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator
#5
In Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium, John H. Tullock writes this about synthetic seawater (seawater that you prepare, using a mix like Instant Ocean):

"Seawater keeps indefinitely if stored in a covered container in a cool, dark place. Having enough water on hand to perform a 20 percent water change in advisable."

Many of us store saltwater - you can't use it when just mixed and it makes sense to prepare more than you initially need - it's a work saver.

Nancy
 

DrBatty

GPO
Supporter
#6
Nancy;81069 said:
In Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium, John H. Tullock writes this about synthetic seawater (seawater that you prepare, using a mix like Instant Ocean):

"Seawater keeps indefinitely if stored in a covered container in a cool, dark place. Having enough water on hand to perform a 20 percent water change in advisable."

Many of us store saltwater - you can't use it when just mixed and it makes sense to prepare more than you initially need - it's a work saver.

Nancy
Thanks for the book reference, I'll have to pick that up!
 

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#7
The only thing I'd be wary of is that in extreme heat it will lose oxygen as it heats up. So if you keep it in a basement it should be OK.

J
 

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
#8
monty;81052 said:
However, there are plenty of things that in dry form are not good places for pathogens to grow, but once you add water, they're prone to rot, mold, and whatnot. Sugar comes to mind, as does dried fruit and agar.
Excellent point! Suger being the best example!
 

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#9
Flour can get pretty nasty too. We had some left in a container in our caravan for a few months.............:yuck: it was mouldy and moving.........:shock: :yuck:

J
 

alien4fish

O. vulgaris
Registered
#10
Nancy;81069 said:
In Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium, John H. Tullock writes this about synthetic seawater (seawater that you prepare, using a mix like Instant Ocean):

"Seawater keeps indefinitely if stored in a covered container in a cool, dark place. Having enough water on hand to perform a 20 percent water change in advisable."

Many of us store saltwater - you can't use it when just mixed and it makes sense to prepare more than you initially need - it's a work saver.

Nancy
^
^
^
what she said:mrgreen: i use NSW, and i store it INSIDE my home 24 hrs before i use it and I keep it outside in buckets with lids in the interim there is NO problem storing your water as long as its coverd with a tight lid and kept in a cool dry place, and dont get all crazy tryin to put hermit crabs or snails in the buckets or you will have a problem
good luck
 

DrBatty

GPO
Supporter
#11
alien4fish;81667 said:
^
^
^
and dont get all crazy tryin to put hermit crabs or snails in the buckets or you will have a problem
good luck
hehehe I don't think I'd try to keep anything in the buckets....i have a decent system going now and plenty of LFS nearby....I am one of the lucky ones :o)
 

Members online