• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

water change question

DrBatty

GPO
Registered
I've got about 10 gallons of saltwater sitting in a couple containers right now...they're been there for about a week. I haven't had a need to use them, so they've just sort of been sitting there. I buy my saltwater at my LFS....I do not have an RO system at home yet, although I am considering!
Anyway, I've been told that once you get the water, you should use it within the first couple days, otherwise it goes "bad". I fail to see how this is possible, but I'm no chemist and I'm not gonna take any chances.
Are there opinions on this? Is it possible for saltwater to go bad after a few days?

I agree with you, I can't see how it would go bad - as long as is isn't directly from the ocean. If it is a mix and it is inert in powder form, how can RO water change that to make it unstable. If it is from a live source that has living plants or organisms it would definitely go bad.

This is my guess, please anyone else with more knowledge chime in. I do know that it is beneficial to add airstones or powerheads to saltwater when mixing to get it properly aged, but that isnt the same thing.

Illithid;81051 said:
I agree with you, I can't see how it would go bad - as long as is isn't directly from the ocean. If it is a mix and it is inert in powder form, how can RO water change that to make it unstable. If it is from a live source that has living plants or organisms it would definitely go bad.

This is my guess, please anyone else with more knowledge chime in. I do know that it is beneficial to add airstones or powerheads to saltwater when mixing to get it properly aged, but that isnt the same thing.

First, I have no idea what the answer is in practice (although I seem to remember someone saying they kept buckets of water around in case of urgent water changes).

However, there are plenty of things that in dry form are not good places for pathogens to grow, but once you add water, they're prone to rot, mold, and whatnot. Sugar comes to mind, as does dried fruit and agar. It seems like sterile salt water wouldn't have any of these things anyway, but "inert in powder form" doesn't seem like it guarantees anything.

In Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium, John H. Tullock writes this about synthetic seawater (seawater that you prepare, using a mix like Instant Ocean):

"Seawater keeps indefinitely if stored in a covered container in a cool, dark place. Having enough water on hand to perform a 20 percent water change in advisable."

Many of us store saltwater - you can't use it when just mixed and it makes sense to prepare more than you initially need - it's a work saver.

Nancy

Nancy;81069 said:
In Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium, John H. Tullock writes this about synthetic seawater (seawater that you prepare, using a mix like Instant Ocean):

"Seawater keeps indefinitely if stored in a covered container in a cool, dark place. Having enough water on hand to perform a 20 percent water change in advisable."

Many of us store saltwater - you can't use it when just mixed and it makes sense to prepare more than you initially need - it's a work saver.

Nancy

Thanks for the book reference, I'll have to pick that up!

monty;81052 said:
However, there are plenty of things that in dry form are not good places for pathogens to grow, but once you add water, they're prone to rot, mold, and whatnot. Sugar comes to mind, as does dried fruit and agar.

Excellent point! Suger being the best example!

Nancy;81069 said:

Nancy
^
^
^
what she said:mrgreen: i use NSW, and i store it INSIDE my home 24 hrs before i use it and I keep it outside in buckets with lids in the interim there is NO problem storing your water as long as its coverd with a tight lid and kept in a cool dry place, and dont get all crazy tryin to put hermit crabs or snails in the buckets or you will have a problem
good luck

alien4fish;81667 said:
^
^
^
and dont get all crazy tryin to put hermit crabs or snails in the buckets or you will have a problem
good luck

hehehe I don't think I'd try to keep anything in the buckets....i have a decent system going now and plenty of LFS nearby....I am one of the lucky ones :o)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back