Visual Displays by Hapalochlaena lunulata

Discussion in 'Behavior and Intelligence' started by Neogonodactylus, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

The electric blue rings flashed by a startled Greater Blue-ringed octopus (Hapalochlaena lunulata) are easily photographed and are the visual displays that most of us identify with this species. However, their visual display repertoire is actually much richer than that. From time to time I have posted images of other displays. Here are a couple more.

Unilateral stripe. This female responded to a stomatopod (Odontodactylus scyllarus) swimming in an adjacent tank. The stripe is on the side facing the stomatopod. She held this display for almost a minute.

Dark spot background. In this shot the male (light orange) has just pounced on the female and is inserting his hectocotylus into here mantle cavity. As soon as the male made contact with her, the female displayed this typical pattern with dark spots underneath her blue rings. Note that the blue rings are not particularly enlarged. This display lasted about 15 seconds and then the female gradually faded to a light cream color with thin blue rings. Mating lasted for several hours.

Attached Files:

Architeuthoceras and DWhatley like this.
  2. robyn

robyn Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Wow, fantastic photos, Roy! That unilateral stripe is really cool. Do they ever do that to a conspecific?

DWhatley likes this.
  3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos of visual displays!

Nancy

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I'm with Robyn on the coolness of that stripe. I have seen numerous stripes on the animals I have kept (white or brown) but they have been either centered or half body coloring, nothing like this display.:thumbsup:

5. sirreal

sirreal Vampyroteuthis Registered

Just fantastic photos.

6. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

I can't recall seeing a stripe display given to a conspecific, but it is not common. I have seen unilateral darkening on the side facing another blue-ring.

Roy

7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Cool, the more I watch my cuttlefish move their arms about, the more I think we miss animal communication. I wonder if it is partly because we are focusing on a conspecific language rather than a more universal simplified dialog.