Urban Legend...

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Animal Mother, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

ha! yeah, that's a classic! I've seen that one before -- don't think it's ever been posted though. Thanks!

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

4. Life Quiz

Life Quiz Larval Mass Registered

Hi! This is the first time i've the octopus variation lol. These tend start a life of their own after a while. I was also intrigue by ur name and noticed you are a vet. tech. I was hoping you reveal whether or not there is any "truth" to the suspicious statement that animals would ever commit suicide(give up). I appreciate your opinion very much. Experience is key here and you have more then me for sure

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Sure animals give up and let themselves die. Sometimes they starve themselves to death.

6. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

There is what is believed to be a disease (and is cerainly a real phenomenon) in octopuses that causes them to eat their own arms. Whether "disease induced insanity" is the same as "suicide" is open to interpretation, of course. See here for example or forum search for "autophagy".

The beachings of whales that Steve O's group studies come to mind as well: are cetacean groundings "suicide," or just confusion/disease? They don't seem to serve any altruistic purpose for the rest of the pod. I seem to remember that the stories of suicidal lemmings are urban (or rural?) legends, but whale groundings seem pretty similar in behavior to the classic lemming stories.

7. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

You can blame Walt Disney for that. The producers of a Disney nature documentary chased a number of lemmings off a cliff for the cameras.

Dan

8. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator