• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Today I made the leap.

TheBricks

Cuttlefish
Registered
Okay. Tomorrow is the day. The lid is secured. I am proofing the overflow... I know I'm late.
I'm sitting at
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
7.5 ppm nitrate
77 degrees
1.027 salinity.

Anything I should change before we go? I was thinking about doing a 15% water change. Maybe lowering the salinity a hair?

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I think I would leave it alone at this point so that it remains stable for your acclimation.

TheBricks

Cuttlefish
Registered
I got an email last night from liveaquaria stating it would not be shipped. Apparently the animals health declined. Back to the search. I'm about to buy this mimic and be done with it...

TheBricks

Cuttlefish
Registered
So it's long arms and small. That's about all I know so far. It's small enough to fit between every rock in my tank (making all my caving irrelevant). The real interesting part is that I made my caving and rock base out of PVC. It has a large doube opening that hooks to the stand up 3/4" pipe. He goes into the double cave and into the hole in the pipe, all the way to the top and out of the rock work on the other end. So he lives at either end of a piece of PVC currently. He ate some shrimp from a stick last night!

TheBricks

Cuttlefish
Registered
So today it took a piece of shrimp from me all the way back through its tunnel and left the shrimp outside the other end. Is he saving it for later or discarding it? Do I need to find a new food source?

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
When they are first introduced to an aquarium we have seen octopuses exhibit either gluttonous consumption or stubborn refusal. I recommend continuing to offer food every day and remove anything not eaten after a couple of hours. Initially, size seems to be important and I have found that starting with small pieces (about the size of the eye) seems to work better than offering a single large portion. Once the food is accepted and eaten, I increase the size until there are left overs. Quantity consumed will change over the life of the animal with young animals eating more as they grow into adults and older octos slowly consuming less. It also seems best to develop a diversity of accepted food and alternate during the week as the larger (ie not dwarf) octos I have kept appear to get "bored" of the same food every day.

TheBricks

Cuttlefish
Registered
It took a half of a shrimp today while the lights were on (super camoflauge!) and hid it until the lights went out. Then he returned for it. I haven't seen the shell come back out yet.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I would suggest removing the shell before feeding. There is no nutritional value (octopuses don't eat it), it is hard to be sure you remove all of it, and it will quickly degrade and add ammonia to the tank. I do leave the shells on the crab claws I feed but claw shells are easier to find and the meat much harder to extract in one piece.

TheBricks

Cuttlefish
Registered
So he takes but rejects thawed shrimp. I have a bunch of small hermit crabs and a small blue crab in the tank. As well as 2 clowns, a lawnmower blenny, and a leopard wrasse. I am going to try fresh shucked oyster tonight. And I'm trying to find fiddlers today. He won't starve right? Also he has moved to the cave/den behind pride rock and that's super exciting.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
The fish are likely to keep the octopus from becoming social, not eating well and will likely kill them at some point to reduce stress.

Members online

No members online now.