Tentarcticles (Mesonychoteuthis / Colossal Squid)

It didnt hit me until earlier this week how much of that movie is ripped of from the day the earth stood still.... ( a mix of this thread and another made me think of it)

still a decent movie though.... the water tentacle was kinda cool...

Squid modeling...

Steve and Co.,

All I can say is... ! After viewing the Meso-model, I'm beginning to be ashamed of the cardboard, wood, cloth and foam thing we built. Perhaps I should change my avatar. :oops:

(then again, ours had pneumatic tentacles and only cost $100 to make...)

Great work! I'm sure this will boost ceph interest quite a bit!

- Ika-san

Is the size of the model supposed to be the same size as the specimen that was caught? Sorry if this had already been answered in this thread before, but I didn't feel like going over 8 pages to find the answer. :oops:

Yes, it was built to the dimensions (5.4 m total length) of the specimen we had from the Ross Sea last April. We believe this to be about half-grown.

:meso:

Steve O'Shea said:
Should be out about mid-June 2004. I must say I'm looking forward to seeing this yarn too ... so much has been done that there'll be a lot of fun and frustration in the editing suite.

Perfect - right around the time Dr. Octopus will be menacing Spider-Man on the silver screen.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere (I just discovered & joined this board today) - but if these models are for a documentary, will it be on TV or Imax or...? eight-warned is eight-armed, as they say.

Also -- I'm an illustrator, and though these are nothing close to scientifically accurate, I thought you all might enjoy a look at a couple of drawings of mine that are pretty tentacular, if I do say so myself....

Shaw Communications
Shaw Communications

These were created for everybody's favourite roleplaying game, Dungeons & Dragons, FYI.

:welcome:, Toren! Love the avatar, man, and those illustrations. I'm off to snoop through your website(s), looking for more...

As for the squid, 'twas all built for the Discovery Channel's new series Animal Face-Off.

Nice to see the model, scince most AFO models look like cyborg-ish skeletons, I expested this to not look to mush like a full squid, but I was pleasently suprised, by the way, has the DVD come out in NZ yet? because it doesn't seem to be going to premier in the states, and I have to see that episode :bonk: .

Hmm.... people tend not to say much once I've said something. I personally find it really strange, you see I-ICE CREAM!!!

I wouldn't worry about that OctopusV; it's no 'kiss-of-death'. This is pretty standard for a thread - you just never know when it gets resurrected; there are pages of dead threads here already (in this forum and others). This is actually one thread that is unlikely to die, but it's also unlikely to be resurrected unless we digress (and we do that often), or something happens (press wise, and we'll not know what that is until it happens). What is more likely is that a 'newbie' will come along and start a similar thread, and then we'll respond on that; those of us that have been around a little longer, and know the history of the site, will try and dredge this one up (or whatever thread is appropriate) from whatever page it is on and post anew, where it left off.

:mesonych: rocks; we've certainly not heard the last of this monster!

Oh, okay, I've seen that on other forum sites, but on those sites if a thread hasn't been posted in for more than twenty days, and then someone posts in it, it gets closed. Anywho, do you have any info about that AFO episode coming out on DVD?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back