Tentarcticles (Mesonychoteuthis / Colossal Squid)

Architeuthoceras said:
Steve,

If you wanted to turn that into a model af an ammonite, How big would the shell have to be? And how much of that costly rubber would you have to use? Hypothetically thinking of coarse.

Well, you'd probably make the shell out of fibreglass, and there'd be no need to fill it with rubber (unless you want to internalise the shell .... but it's too early in the morn to go there).

The head, arms and tentacles have proven considerably more economical in terms of rubber than the mantle and fins (the fins have taken most of the rubber). You could probably get away with NZ$20,000 for the rubber (if making it anything like the Mesonycho head, arms and tentacles).

This head could actually be bolted into an ammonite aperture, if you had an appropriate-sized fibreglass shell.

With the mould they can actually knock off aditional specimens, although (because of the cost) they wouldn't be cast in rubber (I can't remember what it was right now); I'll ask them today - perhaps I can become a squid model broker ... your very own colossal for a couple of thousand (excluding postage and packing).

I'm not going to let on what those knobs are. You'll have to do a spot of reading to familiarise yourselves with cranchiid squid morphology (they're rather obvious; their function hasn't been picked yet).

:mesonych: ...comes out of its cast today... :biggrin2:

I'd guessed tubercle doohickeys for the funnel-mantle fusion cartilage earlier, but I changed it because it sounded silly. But since I was wrong anyway...

:read:

.... clarification ... they're the knobs that sit on the external surface of the mantle at the points where the mantle fuses with the head (at the bases of the funnel; equivalent to the mantle and funnel-locking cartilages, except there's actual tissue fusion) and dorsally, the 'neck' or nuchal region, similarly fused.

We're putting one knob dorsally and 2 cluster lots of 5, one either side of the funnel (where it fuses with the mantle).

Right now the rubber is a light, near-translucent red. It will be splatter painted (chromatophores), but will remain largely translucent (and then some of the film/images will be CG enhanced).

Sorta like these ('1')?

CranchCharact.gif

Sorta like those indeed, only not as many and not V-shaped in distribution.

Re le squid ... well .... here goes the undressing. Now the lads at Glasshammer would have kittens if I showed a model like this online, because this is JUST THE START!!! It has to be cleaned, eye lenses attached, painted, mounted together .... it is such an unfinished product at this stage. More to come in rapid succession (over the next few days); it should be finished in ~ 3 days.

Figure titles self explanatory (I'm late - am not supposed to be here and have a bit of a drive ahead of me to get to where I'm supposed to be ....)

download.php

download.php

download.php

:biggrin2:

Oh, they excavate the funnel, have glass domes going in the eyes, warts here and there, hooks on arms and tentacles, beaks, stunning paint scheme ..... this is sooooooo early on (it's just come out of bandages ... now gets the plastic surgery).

It's gonna look positively smashing!

download.php

Architeuthoceras said:
Steve,

If you wanted to turn that into a model af an ammonite, How big would the shell have to be? And how much of that costly rubber would you have to use? Hypothetically thinking of coarse.

.... an interesting thing happened today Kevin. I got to talking about your ammonite model query, and didn't really expect barry (one of the model makers) to really know what an ammonite was :oops:

He used to collect them!

To see the sort of work they do, check out www.glasshammerfx.com

It'll blow your mind (and dtsrt thinking about how you'd like your rubberised ammonite to look, and I'll work on Barry and Justin to log on and join us.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back