[Octopus]: Taba - Jocco's 'Pus

Is that her door at the bottom right? It looks like a cave entrance and makes me think of our ancestors protecting themselves from wild life.

Yes, that is her door. I want to experiment and place shiny tank safe items in the tank and see if she collects them.
It is also where I find hermit carcasses, she seems to push out the remnants right above where she is taking her shrimp meal.

You might try to use different textures and shades (colors will not matter, they can't see color but can see shades - appearing as different grays) and note which ones she chooses.

Roc tried to use his finger tips to feed Taba instead of the stick yesterday - no dice.
Today she took the piece of shrimp.
We didn't see more than the smallest bit of 2 arms.
One arm stuck to him, but let go almost immediately after she took the shrimp.

Taba took shrimp quickly from Roc's fingers, without exposing much of herself again tonight.

Tomorrow night we are putting a fiddler in a lego cage. It has been around 5 days since her last hunting excursion. We are going to dim the lights and stay awake to see if the fiddler cage gets her curious and out of the rock den.

OMGOODNESS!

Full disclosure, I couldn't sleep last night and did some flashlight spying on Taba.

Woke up to zero door!! She moved everything out!!

Or the pistol shrimp stole it all because that is where all the shells and rocks ended up. Fixed and surrounding his lair.

But that is also where we put the fake cave we humans thought she would like to live.

Wow.
Best thing is, I was awake, and next to the tank for several hours before sleep finally snatched me.

Taba or Sir Stewart's timing is nuts.

The lego cage failed. My shrimp are relentless scavengers. They pulled the piece of frozen shrimp out of the cage after 20 minutes. The fiddler escaped the lego cage and is now fiddlin' around the tank.

Where is the <shrug> emoticon? hahaha. We tried, back to the drawing board.

Taba took a frozen piece of shrimp delicately off the feeding stick.

Pics are of the "door" moved to the middle of the tank (where the pistol shrimp lives) and totally cleared away from her den as seen in previous photos. The Fiddler's escape to the top of the den rock, as if to flip us 'the claw'. And the lego cage we thought we fortified with plastic wrap on the bigger sides that the bait could escape from... which it did.

Our tank is getting a water change and cleaning tomorrow :smile: Yay.

Attachments

• 20151009_220306.jpg
    20151009_220306.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
  • 20151009_220256.jpg
    20151009_220256.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • 20151009_112422.jpg
    20151009_112422.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Taba has been slower to take food from us the last couple of days. We have set feeding time at 10pm, and where it used to take us 15 minutes or less for her to grab, it now takes 20-30 minutes.

We dangle food for 15-20 minutes, then we back out. We watch, and when we see her flip out a leg (usually from a different hole in the rock), we'll go back in with food. After another 15-20, she will finally take it.

We have been giving the scarlet and peppermint shrimp teensy pieces of food so that they swim away and let us feed Taba in peace. Since the tank cleaning and 'door' disappearance, it has been quiet in the tank. Taba didn't take the shells back.

Fiddler crab is still alive, bothering the clown fish. It has been interesting to watch them flap their tails/water in the crab's direction.

Tomorrow we are going to try scallop or clam.

If that doesn't work, I guess we will try skipping a feeding.

Ok. Officially worried.

This is the second night Taba refused to eat. Even threw out food from her den. She didn't want scallop or shrimp. In various sizes and methods of delivery.
Tried by hand, by between chop sticks, and original feeding stick. Teeny pieces to larger pieces. Even tried stuffing a piece in the den.
She pushed it out.

Here is video of what I think is her siphoning, breathing, heart rate... Idk what to call it... pattern. It seems stressed to me.

I need to rework some of our smilies (yet it's amazing how they've served us for 15 years). I want to offer you a concerned one.

I hope it's temporary... What is your process for water change? Maybe it was a bit sudden... Keeping in mind, I don't own a tank so I have no insights... just curious.

Thanks for the updates, keep us posted...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back