[Octopus]: Taba - Jocco's 'Pus

We don't really know how long an octopus can survive without taking in food from the environment (and it is likely species dependent). There is a recent case that suggests one of the deep water animals broods for as long as 5 years. The observations had long timelapses and feeding behavior was not part of the observation (I still have discomfort at the idea of a 5 year brood). The GPO is known to brood for 6-10 months and thought not to take in food over the entire incubation period. There are also observations of brooding animals continuing to eat but all lose muscle mass and metabolize their own tissue. The muscle wasting is quite noticeable in aquarium kept animals for the longer brooding animals (like the GPO and O. briareus) but not as evident for the animals that only brood for a couple of weeks (a. aculeatus).

Do you still have fish in the aquarium?

6-10 month brood? 5 years??
I can eat breakfast and wonder what to make for dinner.

I ask Rocco if she seems weaker when pushing him away, doesn't seem so.
She seemed to eat the clam last night.
It wasn't moved from under her den
It didn't seem scavenged and clipped at either.
Looked like a clean munch.
I regret not taking a photo.

We are giving her another one tonight.

LFS didn't maintenance today; short handed at the shop apparently. I'm starting to hate them.
They said tomorrow.
I called them back today to ask them to reset our 10 Gallon. We shut it off a while ago because she was eating frozen food and seemed happy. Tomorrow we take the fish and shrimp out.
This should be another adventure.

Last night we got out of work late, hit the food shops for sea food and they were packed up already. We tried the sushi restaurant in the same plaza and they only had live scallop. Taba hasn't liked scallop yet. Quick thinking, I called a chef friend of ours and asked if clams were on his menu. Much luck to us, he said he had some live. Hopefully she eats this handful of clams :smile:

This morning Rocco said he woke up to hermits everywhere. We didn't know we had to weigh down the top of the box/styrofoam in which they arrived.
I stayed home from work today (partly because of the scheduled tank maintenance), this week has been hell and I needed to catch up on sleep and house work.
There was luggage in the kitchen from a recent trip, when I moved it, a hermit rolled out and effectively made me jump eleventeen feet from surprise.

LFS said they would take the hermits off my hands too...haha.

Yanno, other creatures in the tank aside, I don't think Taba knows how to octopus.
I put another clam by her den around 6pm. From around 10pm on, I have watched her struggle through holes in the rock to pull the clam out of the shell. It is 2:30am and she has yet to rip it free.

If we feed it to her, she has no interest.

Is the "no mommy, I do it" part of octopus growing up?

I've yet to see more than 2 arms at a time gripping at the clam. Why not send half down?
The job will get done quicker. Or, well, bring the beak down and chomp. lol
We put a decoy clam on the other side, it has all of the shrimp distracted.

At least we know she likely ate the clam last night, and she wants this one too!

Main tank was cleaned and serviced, 10gal was set up, and the fish were moved. LFS said to wait a few days to move the shrimp.
I'm googling how to keep clams alive and getting a lot of cooking advice lol.

Searching for clam advice on Tonmo too. Looks like I have to get food for them too.
Can I put them in my sump? Or in the tank with the fish?
We need to play keep-away from the shrimp because they pick at them and kill them too quick.

Taba seems to be in the mood for clam :smile:

Last edited:
I don't think the shrimp can kill the clams. If they are dieing in the tank, I suspect their initial health but here is what I have found successful:

Put them in a bucket of tank water when you bring them home
Change the water after a couple of hours (you should be able to see why, the water will be yucky)
Keep them there for another few hours. If you leave them overnight, put an active air stone in the bucket.
Move them to the octopus tank. They should be able to feed on the detritus and should not die unless Taba opens them. If you have starfish (not serpent or brittle stars), then all bets are off because clams are often their favorite food.

No star fish for us. At some point we bought a sand sifting star a while back, but it died in 48hrs. Lesson learned.
Clam gunk is no joke. Ick. After letting them purge themselves, I put the 20 or so clams in the 10gal fish tank, there is minimal sand, I guess I'll dig them out every day to be sure they are alive.
I put one in the 55gal to keep the shrimp busy. Came home today and it is still alive, I'm shocked. They've picked at the others. I guess those weren't too healthy.

Taba ate her clam last night, the shell was 'licked clean'.
We've been feeding them to Taba, and she loves them.
So much so... she finally came out!

Granted we did a water change and moved the fish too

I already hate the red light.

Her arms seem less plump... probably from the week of not eating. Taba came right out and stuck her beak over the clam... I guess she DOES know how to octopus lol.

She is back in the rock, sticking her arms out of the holes every which way, being stubborn about eating the opened clam for dinner.

Looks like I'm eating couch lint and cookies because I am NOT moving from the couch! That's all I have within arm's reach S.O.S hahaha.

If the shrimp were "picking" at the clams I suspect either there was something ON their shells (entirely possible and not a major concern in a well cycled tank) or they were dead or close to it. Live clams are not part of a shrimp's diet. I do think purging them is important. Fiddlers (but not hermits IME) are also a good choice for food but not as easy (read they foul the water easily, smell and can't be kept in the display tank). However, I do recommend offering them on occasion. If she is still alive in the spring, you may be able to find live crayfish (crawfish, crawdads ...). The animals at the food markets are usually too large to offer live but the tails can be removed and frozen (kind of a heartless killing endeavour and don't usually take this route but I do have some that I have grown out, are much smaller and offer live to Shelby).

Looking at her size, I am quite sure she is a dwarf species now and I am glad it appears she is eating again. I am also glad you removed the fish. If she is not becoming senescent, her willingness to exit her den is likely directly related to the fish removal. There are, of course, a couple other alternatives (age is one of them) but anecdotally, I vote for my stance on NO FISH.

Unfortunately, the red light has no good alternative. You can get used to it for viewing but will never be happy with photography. I have a few images where my dwarfs look like they are spewing blood, or more plausibly (octo blood is not blue and it doesn't spew) one of them took a slice out of my finger (also not plausible but the color works better). :wink:

Even though octos cannot hear us talk (only recently did they discover that octopuses CAN hear but not at the level of our voices) I also talk to mine. I think it puts ME in the appropriate activity frame to attempt to be non-scary. I do recommend that when you "pet" the glass, to move your fingers s l o w l y as fast movements tend to put them on alert.

We worked a monster day today, 6am - 8pm. After a long remodel and making it back home with barely any sanity, we have bad news.

Taba died.

Attachments

• 20151120_202133.jpg
    20151120_202133.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
  • 20151120_200505.jpg
    20151120_200505.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 165
  • 20151120_195939.jpg
    20151120_195939.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
:cry: My guess is old age but (and I have had this happen as well) you would normally expect eggs before death. I would check her den (Edit - I posted this while you were posting your, "no sign of eggs" post). Small egg species do not brood for long (any where from a week to two weeks has been recorded). The other animals may have already eaten the eggs but if not, they will likely be visible. I removed Little Bit's eggs and placed them in a dish of water to see how long it would take them to disintegrate. I forgot to add water several times so the salt may likely preserved them much longer than is natural but they looked the same after several months before I finally disposed of them (they were known to be infertile).

End of life photos are often helpful for future reference (Sedna started making a practice of this and I have taken up the procedure and encourage others). Adding a ruler to the image also helps us see actual sizes, something you can't do well while they are alive.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back