"Steve's" freezer -- resurrected!

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi gang, Over the past couple of months the squid lab here at AUT have finally found the time to process some stuff from the freezers, and have found some very interesting things. I thought I'd re-start the ID game (which we haven't played in ages!) with some of the photos here. I'll post them one at a time and when someone gets the ID right I'll post a new one. Here's the first, an easyish one--but there are features visible that should make it possible to narrow down to one of several species ;)

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
A "feature" of our on-going up grade is a change in the way inserts are handled. I need to re-review the post I made on inserts but if you get the little box after you upload, you will need to position your cursor where you want the pictures and click the insert image (you will see insert insert image remove all in an unclear line. The insert image is one click and will produce the desired in-line results)

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Nudge? Would have thought Aaron might like to poke these with a virtual stick as he wasn't around in person... :)

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Reaction score
Bachelor number 2 I'm guessing Onychoteuthis (but Notonykia is a possibility until I get a close up look at the mantle).
Hmm.. and I just saw on fb that I have to guess the Histio to species..... that will take muck longer. :) Yay! It's time for a challenge!

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Eeeeexcellent. Yes, #1 is Histioteuthis macrohista (similar enough to H. bonnellii that telling them apart from this photo is probably impossible), and #2 is Onychoteuthis sp. Nice work--I'll keep you on. ;) Here's the next one!

Attachments