"Steve's" freezer -- resurrected!

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi gang, Over the past couple of months the squid lab here at AUT have finally found the time to process some stuff from the freezers, and have found some very interesting things. I thought I'd re-start the ID game (which we haven't played in ages!) with some of the photos here. I'll post them one at a time and when someone gets the ID right I'll post a new one. Here's the first, an easyish one--but there are features visible that should make it possible to narrow down to one of several species :wink:

Attachments

• conv_339746.jpg
    conv_339746.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 176
A "feature" of our on-going up grade is a change in the way inserts are handled. I need to re-review the post I made on inserts but if you get the little box after you upload, you will need to position your cursor where you want the pictures and click the insert image (you will see insert insert image remove all in an unclear line. The insert image is one click and will produce the desired in-line results)

Bachelor number 2 I'm guessing Onychoteuthis (but Notonykia is a possibility until I get a close up look at the mantle).
Hmm.. and I just saw on fb that I have to guess the Histio to species..... that will take muck longer. :smile: Yay! It's time for a challenge!

Eeeeexcellent. Yes, #1 is Histioteuthis macrohista (similar enough to H. bonnellii that telling them apart from this photo is probably impossible), and #2 is Onychoteuthis sp. Nice work--I'll keep you on. :wink: Here's the next one!

Attachments

• conv_340242.jpg
    conv_340242.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 209
Chiroteuthis indeed, not sure of species yet--need to have a closer look at it now that it's fixed. Nice work! Here's another:

Attachments

• conv_340471.jpg
    conv_340471.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 232
Good guess, but no! Clues are in the tentacle clubs (if you can see them). I will add: Photophores on ventral surface of the eyes only, and no hooks. :smile:

Good guess, but no! Clues are in the tentacle clubs (if you can see them). I will add: Photophores on ventral surface of the eyes only, and no hooks. :smile:
Oh man.... I looked at the clubs... and I think we *learned* about these at TONMOCON V too... :oops: :confused2: ...and I can't remember who taught it or what they taught! :bonk:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back